Pica Taco, Lanier Heights, Columbia Heights and Now Open in Kingstowne

I don't believe there is a topic for Pica Taco yet. There are two locations: the first is in the Argonne apartment building at 1629 Columbia Rd. NW, and a second location just opened 1406 Florida Ave. NW.

I've been wanting to visit Pica Taco ever since Tim Carman discussed the original location a few times back in November of last year. He said that the lengua tacos were really good, even if you don't like tongue.

I'd only tried tongue once before, and I was not a huge fan. But after eating a lengua taco at the new location of Pica Taco tonight, and liking it so very much I immediately ordered another and am now plotting the soonest I can go back, I can say that I am sold. Plus, to celebrate the grand opening of restaurant #2, tacos are "buy one, get one free" through Saturday.

Here's some more info from Prince of Petworth.

I also tried a fish taco--I didn't think it was anything special. I remember the one I had at Distrito Federal a few months ago being better. But the tongue at Pica Taco trumped them both by far.

I'd only tried tongue once before, and I was not a huge fan. But after eating a lengua taco at the new location of Pica Taco tonight, and liking it so very much I immediately ordered another and am now plotting the soonest I can go back, I can say that I am sold.

Lengua tacos are a gateway food to enjoying other cheap cuts prepared properly. Can't wait to check this place out.

[slightly off-topic, but this reminds of me of how I've slipped in keeping up with Mexican (including Tex-Mex and Tacquerias) in this area. I could spend a solid week (full-time) just bringing myself confidently back up to speed on tacquerias - if anyone has any suggestions for my somewhat tenuous rankings, would you please PM me and tell me where I'm obviously wrong? Thanks in advance, and cheers! Rocks.

(God I work hard, and I have so much to do in order to run this website the way it needs to be run. It kills me when I see a flaw developing such as this, but at least I recognize it - I'll get it resolved, eventually.)]

I was really happy I saw this thread, because otherwise it would have been weeks before I found the Pica Taco location on Florida, even though I live a block and a half away. It's just one of those blocks nearby I never seem to drive or walk by. The previous occupant of this space was a small mom and pop Middle Eastern place whose name I can't remember that, unfortunately, never seemed to have any customers in it. So I was heartened to see Pica pretty slammed with patrons at lunch today. I tried pork, beef, and lengua tacos. All were tasty, though I found the meat of the pork and beef tacos drier than those of my standard bearer for Tacos around here, Taqueria Distrito Federal. They could also have been a bit more generous with the toppings -- there was a nice portion of cilantro and raw onion on each, but just a sliver of radish in one taco, none in the others, and a tiny lime wedge to share across my takeout order of 5 (which included my wife's two chicken taco order). Still, overall they made a very nice lunch and we're looking forward to many returns here.

So I was heartened to see Pica pretty slammed with patrons at lunch today.

Say hi next time?

We stopped by for the second time in 48 hours. The lengua is so good, I'd put it on a level just below the veal tongue tacos from Bar Pilar. Lots of rich fattiness, but not overwhelmingly so.

I actually thought the barbacoa was reasonably juicy, and the pork had the right amount of spice. Certainly better than TDF (which isn't bad, but my experiences there have resulted in dry, overcooked meat more often than not) IMO. Though I'd definitely avoid the fish tacos here, which are pretty bland.

Another thing I liked -- a good selection of Jarritos sodas! Too bad their hours aren't longer...we'd eat here way more often.

We tried the original Columbia Heights location last night before the D.C. United game (sigh). The lengua tacos here are still excellent. Not as deliciously fatty as our other two times at the Florida Ave. location, though. The barbacoa is cooked in a subtle-but-enjoyable sweet/spicy sauce. Pork taco remains so-so.

The place was nearly empty. I really hope they do better business at lunch.

We tried the original Columbia Heights location last night before the D.C. United game (sigh). The lengua tacos here are still excellent. Not as deliciously fatty as our other two times at the Florida Ave. location, though.

The Florida Avenue and Columbia Heights locations are the same location. The Columbia Road location is the Lanier Heights location; although most would probably call it Adams Morgan, Lanier Heights certainly has historical credibility as a name for that part of the city.

A new location just opened up in Kingstowne.  It's in the Landsdowne shopping center (which is conveniently the same shopping center where the library I manage is located).

Several staff tried it last week and raved about it so today, when someone was making a run upstairs to get tacos, I placed my order.  One taco pastor and one pollo.  With extra hot sauce.  It was reported back to me that the staff were super friendly and service was smoothing out.  Last week, when the first opened, it was a bit touch and go according to another co-worker as the place was swamped with people from day one.

The pastor was tasty, especially with added hot sauce.  The pork was tender, flavorful with just the right about of sauce.  It was topped with fresh diced onion and sliced radish.  The chicken was a good solid shredded chicken taco.  Again, very tender with a touch of lime, lettuce and sliced radish.  The tacos themselves were nice thick, sturdy corn masa tacos.  They soaked up a lot of sauce from the filling and held together until the last bite of the pastor.

A co-worker gave me a bite of the chicken tamale which was good but the tamale was too thick for my liking.  It was also rolled instead of one solid piece.  Maybe another version of tamale I'm not familar with?

There are more items on the menu to explore which will be something I look forward to trying in the coming year.

• Like 1

I don't pay attention to the vast, vast majority of restaurant inspections - who cares if a manager isn't on duty, or if a license has expired by a few days - I'm not belittling the important work performed by the inspectors; just saying that in most cases, restaurants do just fine, and even if there's a violation, it usually merits a shoulder-shrug.

I noticed this article:

"The Best Tacos In And Around D.C., Part 2" on dcist.com

and was thinking to myself, hmm, I've never tried Pica Taco, and my curiosity because piqued (pun intended).

But then:

Eew

What possible "other pests" are there?!