Dinner in Silver Spring, White Oak, Colesville

mktye

Before going to Hollywood Ballroom this Friday with a group from our dance class, eight of us plan to get together for dinner.

The dance place is ~4 miles outside the beltway, north on Rte. 29/Colesville Rd. and we would prefer to eat not too terribly far away from there. We're all pretty adventuresome when it comes to food, we'd like a restaurant where we can linger over dinner until 9:00 p.m. or so and, because we are going dancing, we will be a bit dressed up (the ladies in skirts & heels, the men in sportscoats).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sergio's Ristorante, 8727 Colesville Rd.; 301-585-1040 - Inside the beltway on Colesville, in the Hilton. This often overlooked Italian restaurant has really good food, very friendly atmosphere and moderate prices. :lol:

Is downtown SS too far?

If so, there's an Indian place in the strip mall with the Sears at 29 and New Hampshire that is rumored to be good. IIRC there's also a Greek place right about the same area that is supposed to be OK.

There's really nothing else out that way worth eating. Well, except perhaps the half-smokes from the lunch wagon in front of Home Despot.

Jackie's (may be too late for a rez)

Ceviche (heard some OK things and it's a little bigger)

For cheaper eats

Mandalay

Thai Derm

Roger Miller (Cameroonian)

Half Moon BBQ

all downtown

el Golfo -- near corner of Flower and Piney Branch

Langley Park --

Samantha's -- Mex/Salvadoran

Tiffin/Udupi -- Indian

The rumor about the Indian place at White Oak Shopping Center is true - Bombay is excellent quality and value. The ambiance is casual, but you may not look too out of place.

The Greek place mentioned is Chef Theo's - decidedly mediocre.

I can also second Cuba de Ayer in Burtonsville.

I second Sergio's. Hollywood East isn't far either. Half Moon BBQ is good and a little loud but cheap. Matamoros on University by Georgia is good. Outstanding Papusas, great Caldo de Res, incredible fresh corn tamales. Full Key on University for noodles and good stirfry's and hot pots. WooMi in Wheaton is the best Korean I know of outside of Annandale but I don't think romantic dancing smlling of smoke and garlic is a perfect fit. But if you don't care... great BBQ.

From lingering over your dinner till 9 I infer that you will e getting there by 7pm or so. Traffic in SS iss horrible so I would not look too easily at distant locations.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!!! :lol:

Based on a tip from a little birdie (a Salpinctes obsoletus), we are going to try Ceviche.

I never would have thought of that person in an avian sense. I hope they avoid the flu.