Ethiopian in NoVa

thistle

I'd like to try an Ethiopian restaurant, because it's not something I've ever tried before-the 3 I'm looking at are Eyo Sports Bar, Caboose Cafe, & Harar Mesob-I'm looking at these for geographical reasons, I live in S. Fairfax Co, does anyone have any info on these? My kids are off to their grandparents for a little while & I want to eat something good while they're gone...

Wish I could help with those three, but I've never been. I'm eager to hear others' thoughts on them. (I'm a NoVAn...)

I don't know if you've ruled it out yet, but I'm a big fan of Meaza in Falls Church. Great veggie platter and you can get real teff injera for a couple bucks.

thistle - Here's a dr.com thread on Harar Mesob. It's bit old, but gives you a decent idea. (ETA - if you're going to trek to C.City, it's better to place your bets on the Bailey's area & it's closer to FX County.)

I like TheMatt's suggestion of trying Meaza, but its spices are a bit different compared to those used in the DC Ethiopian places I've tried. It's off of Columbia Pike near Bailey's Crossroads.

I don't know if you've ruled it out yet, but I'm a big fan of Meaza in Falls Church.

Also near Bailey's is Tim Carman's favorite, Abay Market. I have not been there, but it was the place featured in the DC episode of Bourdain's show.

Let me know if you want company! (Now I'm craving Ethiopian and Chinese. I wonder what fusing those 2 cuisines would taste like??)

Edited by goodeats

Actually, Ethiopian & Chinese sounds wonderful!-thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to start my Ethiopian exploration w/ a Tuesday dinner at Caboose Cafe (because it's close to me), & anyone that wants to join me (& 2 kids-because I have to feed them) is welcome! I'm looking forward to trying something different, I really want to taste the injera...Thistle/Linda

Actually, Ethiopian & Chinese sounds wonderful!-thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to start my Ethiopian exploration w/ a Tuesday dinner at Caboose Cafe (because it's close to me), & anyone that wants to join me (& 2 kids-because I have to feed them) is welcome! I'm looking forward to trying something different, I really want to taste the injera...Thistle/Linda

I've eaten some things from Caboose (including some great bread), but none of the Ethiopian menu. I have neighbors, though, who have told me that they drive from the Hill to Del Ray for the Ethiopian food there, so I take that as a good sign.

Lalibela on Columbia Pike is a sister restaurant of Lalibela on P St., but the Columbia Pike location is even more packed with cabbies. If you measure the greatness of your ethnic food by the number of typos on the menu ("row beef") instead, you're still well served there. It's quite good and not as expensive as some of the fancier DC stalwarts.