Epicurious' 16 Most Important Restaurants of Past 15 Years

hmmboy

Technically, the restaurant opened in 1978, and even if you consider it a new restaurant when Keller bought it, that would still put it outside of the time frame (but that didn't stop Nobu's inclusion).

I thought that too, but then I got to El Bulli, which as they note opened in 64 and fearured Adria from 84 onwards.....then I got confused as to what the rules for includion were :(

These "15 best" or "15 most interesting" lists are thrown together in a day by low-level hacks, and serve one purpose only: to force the reader to click through 15 pages of potential advertisements. A week from now, nobody will remember this document was ever written.

True, although Epicurious is celebrating 15 years in business and has an entire huge section on "Bests" of that time. Not that that makes them any more well-thought-out or genuine, but at least there's a putative reason, and it's not merely a random revenue grab.

Funnily enough, at two of the lists-- including this one :( -- are "top 16 of the past 15 years" -- which just seems odd to me. :)

These "15 best" or "15 most interesting" lists are thrown together in a day by low-level hacks, and serve one purpose only: to force the reader to click through 15 pages of potential advertisements. A week from now, nobody will remember this document was ever written.

I've always wondered about these lists. Do they really make a difference? The only restaurant I've ever gone to solely based upon a magazine blurb was Bayona in New Orleans (Chef Susan Spicer), and they were spot on. It was ages ago (1997?) when Florida beat FSU in the national championship at the Sugar Bowl (Go Gators!), and she was relatively new on the scene in NOLA. Well, relatively new when you consider institutions like Brennan's and Commander's. That was one of the best meals of my life.

So to make a short point long, I'm really curious how these types of lists affect business and careers.

True, although Epicurious is celebrating 15 years in business and has an entire huge section on "Bests" of that time. Not that that makes them any more well-thought-out or genuine, but at least there's a putative reason, and it's not merely a random revenue grab.

Funnily enough, at two of the lists-- including this one :( -- are "top 16 of the past 15 years" -- which just seems odd to me. :)

Maybe I shouldn't find it odd, given that it is a Conde Nast site, but that there's very little to imply the impact that the internet has had on food or the fact that this is an internet-only dealy.

I've always wondered about these lists. Do they really make a difference? The only restaurant I've ever gone to solely based upon a magazine blurb was Bayona in New Orleans (Chef Susan Spicer), and they were spot on. It was ages ago (1997?) when Florida beat FSU in the national championship at the Sugar Bowl (Go Gators!), and she was relatively new on the scene in NOLA. Well, relatively new when you consider institutions like Brennan's and Commander's. That was one of the best meals of my life.

So to make a short point long, I'm really curious how these types of lists affect business and careers.

It allows businesses to say in their PR that they were named a "Top 15 such-and-such in XYZ Journal" which also gives free advertising to XYZ Journal. It's free, mutual back-patting (was going to say "masturbation," but did not think it would be appropriate). These lists may make some difference, depending on the publication, but not much. The information is invariably culled from other sources.

Can you tell I'm unimpressed with these page-per-click lists? What really sets me ablaze is when every fifth page invokes a pop-up ad.

Mark.... I notice you had to triple space.... just a "big" guy huh?

Lemma: Mark is tall.

Postulate: Male endowment is inversely proportional to the propensity to open magnums, imperials, jeroboams, etc.

Corollary: He has the appearance of a Maine-to-Florida satellite photo of I-95 with a broken-down Mini Cooper on the side of the road, out of gas and waiting to get its flat tire pumped, in Hopewell, VA.