Z Kabob, Pakistani Kabobs in Bailey's Crossroads - A Split-Off From Rawal Kabob in Leesburg Pike Plaza

So I had lunch at Z Kabob the other day. It is in the shopping center across the street from World Market with the party store. I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked it. They had great briyani, which you get a side salad that is forgettable, but also that day came with chickpeas that were good. They also had curries, kebabs and all sorts of other things. My hubby had a gyro that he thought was good too. He has had more of the menu than me as he goes for lunch. I was surprised with the menu, pleasantly surprised. Anyway thought it deserved it's own thread.

Edy's Chicken and Steak is in that shopping center which is good too. I like their chicken and sauces.

So I had lunch at Z Kabob the other day. It is in the shopping center across the street from World Market with the party store. I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked it. They had great briyani, which you get a side salad that is forgettable, but also that day came with chickpeas that were good. They also had curries, kebabs and all sorts of other things. My hubby had a gyro that he thought was good too. He has had more of the menu than me as he goes for lunch. I was surprised with the menu, pleasantly surprised. Anyway thought it deserved it's own thread.

Edy's Chicken and Steak is in that shopping center which is good too. I like their chicken and sauces.

I had a Chicken Curry today, and it wasn't at all bad. The total bill, with tax, was under $10, and it came with several pieces of dark meat, bone-in chicken in a flavorful, chicken-flecked gravy (worth sopping up with your naan), rice, salad, raita, and choice of vegetable (potatoes and eggplant (my choice), or lentils), the whole thing assembled from the steam tables by the cash register (*), and the only thing cooked to order the naan.

I thought Z Kabob was good enough to raise a slot or two in the Dining Guide, but then I looked more closely, and asked myself, 'ahead of what?' The seven restaurants ahead of it are all pretty good, and some people would even argue that Duangrat's (which Todd Thrasher recently (and erroneously) called "the best Thai restaurant in the DC area") should be much higher than where I had it (I must have been angry after a bad meal - I've since adjusted the placement). Well, the upshot is that I didn't advance Z Kabob, but that speaks to the depth of decent restaurants around that immediate area. Z Kabob proudly advertises that all its meat is Halal. Warning, if you're clicking on their website, you can unwittingly get thrown into Rawal Kabob's website (its sister restaurant out in Chantilly) - I called and ordered a chicken karahi before realizing I mistakenly called Rawal, and found myself frantically trying to get past a busy signal in order to cancel my order.

As a side note, I went to The Chicken Place (a dingy Peruvian Pollo a la Brasa place across Route 7) a couple weeks ago, and was fairly disappointed with my half chicken. The dry rub was good, but the chicken had been under a heat lamp for awhile, and the yuca was fried in oil that needed changing. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a repeat. The yogurt sauce was a sweetish salad dressing (I hate it when that happens). We should have a thread on The Chicken Place, but as of right now, we don't - unfortunately, Bailey's Crossroads is one of the most underrepresented restaurant neighborhoods on this website (there are several, but this is one). Someone want to quote this paragraph and start a Chicken Place thread? Mirage Cafe? Paraiso Latino? El Gran Palenque? City Diner? La Paz? Raaga? Babylon Futbol Cafe? :)

(*) The steam tables were by the cash register; the cash register didn't perform the assembly.

Another lunch at Z Kabob, I should come here more frequently.  I had the #1 I believe.  Ground lamb skewer, sometimes called Kofta, and chicken kabob that reminded me of tandoori chicken with rice, bread, salad, and a side of one their hot sides, I got the vegetables.  Very good.  The chicken was very well seasoned and juicy, the rice was nicely cooked, I liked the veggies.  The lamb had good flavor, but was a little tougher, but not bad.  It was a ton of food.  Not to be outdone Hubby got a gyro the size of his head.  Didn't try it, but seriously size of his head.