Last-Minute Hostess Gift of Wine

bookluvingbabe

Oops. I was in the office today and failed to get to Schneiders to buy a bottle of wine to take as a hostess gift this weekend.

I am not likely to be near Ace tomorrow.

Can someone suggest a really nice $20ish red wine that is drinkable now that I can find in Montgomery County? Is this the kind of thing I can find at Pepe and Pinky's?

Thanks!!!

I know it's not what you asked about but I've started bring a nice bottle of olive oil instead of wine. The hostess doesn't have to worry about serving it with dinner and it lasts a lot longer.

A bottle of wine given as a hostess gift (as opposed to a bottle specifically intended, with the hostess's foreknowledge, to be part of the meal) doesn't need to be and probably shouldn't be served with dinner. The assumption is that the hostess (or host) has already matched wines to the meal being served and a random addition would through off the pairings. Always nice to make it clear, though, with a word or two about "having this later on" when you hand off the bottle.

That being said, the Sur La Table that's almost in Monkey County, up Wisconsin, has a very swell selection of olive oils.

BLB - there is a nice bottle of cote du rhone that I have found at Whole Foods. I can't remember the name, but I usually by the half-bottle and they sell the whole bottle of it for about $16, I think. I will edit my post when I can find the name...will rack my brain.

Eta: Guigal

Edited by goodeats