Bananas

Anna Blume

Impulse purchase: a ripe bunch of tiny, yellow-jacketed variety. Ick, ick, super ick! Like eating a plantain raw, I bet. Bet the viper got its name after eating this fruit since your mouth fills with cotton.

Anyone cook something more than just edible with this fruit or should I just toss them? And, yes, they really are ripe!

My gf whipped up some banana bread over the weekend, and we always use extremely ripe bananas for that. We follow the recipe out of Joy of Cooking.

The Julia Child series Cooking with Master Chefs has a recipe for banana curry

http://www.iptv.org/series.cfm/2632/julia_child_cooking_with_master/ep:106/episodes

I made this curry. It's easy and delicious.

http://houndstoothgourmet.com/a-delicious-slow-cooked-chicken-curry-because-my-pressure-cooker-frightens-me/

Impulse purchase: a ripe bunch of tiny, yellow-jacketed variety. Ick, ick, super ick! Like eating a plantain raw, I bet. Bet the viper got its name after eating this fruit since your mouth fills with cotton.

Anyone cook something more than just edible with this fruit or should I just toss them? And, yes, they really are ripe!

If it's those little "burro" ones that look like little tiny plantains, I found that the skins need to be almost black before they get soft and ripe. Bananas foster or bananas in caramel sauce is always nice.

If it's those little "burro" ones that look like little tiny plantains, I found that the skins need to be almost black before they get soft and ripe. Bananas foster or bananas in caramel sauce is always nice.

Same with the little red ones--they are sold far from ripeness, and need to sit for a long time until they are soft, before they are sweet and pleasant. Eaten too soon, they are chalky and inedible, as you have discovered. Leave the others in a brown bag with an apple for several days and follow lperry's advice to wait until the skins blacken, and then try eating them. If they are still unpleasant raw, it's time for caramelizing and flambeeing.

LP & Zora: Duh. Should have figured that something that tasted like a raw plantain must have been a mini-plantain vs. a bananino, making the title of my new thread somewhat misleading.

Well, carry on with suggestions for ways to prepare bananas that are a bit more involved than slicing them in half, slathering the slippery surface w peanut butter and dotting that with raisins...

Tweaked & Monavano: the curries sound rather cool.

I know a farmer who is reluctant to purchase bananas for her family, in part because she's become more and more of a locavore over the years. There is also someone else who has caused me to wonder if bananas ought to be what grapes were when I was a kid and willingly gave them up for Chavez.

Banana republics. Pablo Neruda's "United Fruit Company" (poem). And playing right now at West End Cinema, "Big Boys Gone Bananas," about Dole successfully preventing the release of a Swedish documentary on its business, citing fraud and libel.

Anyone else concerned about bananas? Is it naive to cite just one cheap food in worrying about human suffering linked to its production?