Authentic French Boulangerie

wlohmann

Arrowine sells good bread from Lyon Bakery--a wholesale-only baker in Alexandria.

You might be happy with both Quail Creek and Bonaparte Bakery at the Arlington Courthouse market on Saturdays. Bonaparte is also at the Dupont Market and Palisades Market on Sundays. Both are family run. The owners of Bonaparte are from France.

Arrowine sells good bread from Lyon Bakery--a wholesale-only baker in Alexandria.

You might be happy with both Quail Creek and Bonaparte Bakery at the Arlington Courthouse market on Saturdays. Bonaparte is also at the Dupont Market and Palisades Market on Sundays. Both are family run. The owners of Bonaparte are from France.

I love both Lyon and Quail Creek -- Lyon is also at Cheesetique, if you're in that neck of the woods, and at Union Station in warm weather -- but if it's a baguette one craves, they both come up short. I love Bonaparte pastries but their baguettes kinda suck.

I love Quail Creek. I first disovered them at the Kingstowne market, but unfortunately, it just wasn't worth it for them so they left about 2 years? ago.. I was elated to find them at Courthouse, but I believe the are not there in the winter. Atwater is there year-round, however.

Bonaparte is also at the Del Ray market in season (market is all year, but significantly diminished in winter). I could swear I saw Bonaparte at the Alexandria West End Market too.

Wish I'd noticed this request sooner.

Cacao in Cleveland Park is one of just two locations owned by the same French pastry chef/chocolatier. It's not a boulangerie in the Parisian sense since it's more sweets than breads with the exception of very good baguettes. The proprietor's name is Jacques and he's both very nice and talented. This is where I buy baguettes these days in NW DC.

While I adore Cacao and shop there regularly just to ensure that they stay in business (our little strip in Cleveland Park has lost a few businesses in the last couple of years), I'd recommend their ciabatta over their baguettes. The ciabatta seems to be much more consistent in quality. Their patisserie selection, however, has never had any misses for me.

While I adore Cacao and shop there regularly just to ensure that they stay in business (our little strip in Cleveland Park has lost a few businesses in the last couple of years), I'd recommend their ciabatta over their baguettes. The ciabatta seems to be much more consistent in quality. Their patisserie selection, however, has never had any misses for me.

Funny, I've always found his pastries to be hit and miss but more due to personal preference and not due to quality. Love the almond croissants, the eclairs and a couple of the lighter patisserie. Some of the chocolate pastries are very rich. On consistency, he did have a temporary issue a couple of weeks ago in which a staff person had put out the wrong baguettes--I bought one that day that wasn't the same. But, I talked with him about it and he was well aware. In buying baguettes there roughly a dozen times, I've only had the miss once. Jacques has real passion and expertise and puts that into all he does. He even teaches chocolate-making classes from time to time. Very tough to find places with good baguettes and, for me nearly all the time, Cacao is one.

Paul Bakery

Grand Opening of our US Flagship store on May 2nd in Washington, DC!

PAUL will be located in one of DC's most prime retail/restaurant locations: 801 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, with its front doors opening onto the plaza of the US Navy War Memorial, and directly across from The National Archives. A second PAUL store will open in Georgetown at the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and M St. NW later in the year.

The design at PAUL will inspire French comfort in a warm and welcoming ambiance, and will be complemented by gracious service. The décor will be reminiscent of authentic French bakeries and is designed to allow guests to feel transported and comfortable. The 3,220 square foot bakery will offer seating for 50 at charming café tables and booth seating. PAUL will also feature stunning views of the Navy Memorial fountains from its outdoor terrace seating.

PAUL is world-renown with nearly 500 stores in 25 countries, and in such prime locations as London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Tokyo, Bahrain, Belgium, Jordan, Qatar and Switzerland. We are very proud to now open a PAUL bakery-café in Washington, DC!