Groceries at Target

lperry

Our Target added a grocery section a few months ago, and when I was in today picking up a few things, I figured I would check to see if they had what I needed. I was very surprised at both the availability and the pricing. A ten pound bag of sugar was under five bucks - that's less than at Costco. Cage-free organic eggs were $3.39, and they also had my kosher salt and Celestial Seasonings tea for less than I've seen elsewhere, even on sale. I've bought a few things before - mainly snack foods like nuts and chips, but today they saved me another stop, and even saved me money on staples that I would buy from a regular grocery store. Go Target!

^ I was impressed by the price on FAGE yogurts, myself. Caveat Emptor on those eggs, though. The price is not a significant savings on the fresh eggs from pasture-raised hens that you can get at farmers markets and I am guessing for a chain that size, the birds live indoors even if their feed's organic. (Cf. Pollan.)

Yikes! The egg police! :) I do know the likelihood of the origins of "cage-free organic" at Target, but the reality of this time of year is that I get eggs at the store, and it's usually Costco. I figure I'm at least a step in the right direction with organic.

At this time of year (except on a warm day like today) even the local farm chickens are spending all of their time indoors in barns, and so technically are not "free range." They are unlikely to live in overcrowded conditions, like the chickens that provide cheap "cage-free" eggs, however. I noted a news story during the recent big snow storm about a roof collapse of a barn in Connecticut that killed 85,000 chickens... :)

Yes, I am the egg police, coo coo ka choo. :blush: The chickens that lay my eggs are spending lots of time either outdoors or in hoop tunnel-like constructions, on pasture. They aren't co-operating very much, though, producing only 3-9 dozen a week.

As I said, there are good things to be had in Target's grocery section. I wish they would give up on the Giadia line of pasta and just continue Archer's which has always been very inexpensive and really good.

I'd just like to share that since "our' target started selling food my life has gotten a lot easier and I haven't seen the inside of a Giant, Safeway, or HT in months. I am far, far to lazy to go to winter farmer market so it's Target, WF, and Westover...and Trader JOe's of course. ;-)