Hamentaschen

jann

Where can I find really good hamentachen ( local Jewish delis and Whole Foods taste like cardboard lumps) ? The only good ones I found were at Amernick's many years ago.

I never had the privilege of eating a hamentasch made by Ann Amernick, but otherwise I agree with your assessment. My daughter used to be very fond of the apricot hamentaschen from Breads Unlimited in Bethesda (in the strip mall on Arlington Rd. next to Bruce Variety and Strosnider's Hardware). I never much cared for them myself.

Might I humbly suggest that you make your own? Do a search for a recipe from a reliable source: here's one from The New York Times. There are many others, if you google it yourself.

Where can I find really good hamentachen ( local Jewish delis and Whole Foods taste like cardboard lumps) ? The only good ones I found were at Amernick's many years ago.

Wegmans make pretty decent ones if you are near one. But honestly, I would just make them yourself. It is rather easy to do.

Yep - that way you can use nutella as a filling. Not exactly traditional, but oh so delicious.

What a great idea! I will definitely have to try that out :) I really need to find my Mom's recipe for the pastry, though. I haven't ever had one that mirrors it, and my Mom stopped making them years ago.