The Term "Gastropub"

DonRocks

How I hate that word, "gastropub." By coincidence, I had a little squid at the uber-gastropub The Spotted Pig sometime after midnight last Saturday/Sunday. It's a fine concept - a bar with decent food -- but based on a small sample size the the term itself is hideously pretentious.

I'm convinced the reason this term is so distasteful to many (I don't love it either) is because in English, "gastro" conjures up notions of "gastric juices" which is just disgusting. But if you think in French (as I know you are wont to do), your mind might turn more towards <<la gastronomie>> or maybe even <<Larousse Gastronomique>> making it somewhat more bearable. Okay so that's cold comfort, but the term is here to stay and we all have to, erm, stomach it - especially since we're such FOODIES. Ugh. Now there's a term that needs to die a painful (albeit quick) death.

I'm convinced the reason this term is so distasteful to many (I don't love it either) is because in English, "gastro" conjures up notions of "gastric juices" which is just disgusting. But if you think in French (as I know you are wont to do), your mind might turn more towards <<la gastronomie>> or maybe even <<Larousse Gastronomique>> making it somewhat more bearable. Okay so that's cold comfort, but the term is here to stay and we all have to, erm, stomach it - especially since we're such FOODIES. Ugh. Now there's a term that needs to die a painful (albeit quick) death.

Somebody (I don't remember where I read it) coined a fabulously pretentious word for us foodies: Gastroscente

When I hear that term, my first thought rightly or wrongly is non-fancy decor, good beer program, food to match. I'm pre-disposed to like such a place based on my experiences with places that are described as such (not ones that necessarily call themselves that). Philadelphia in particular has a long list of places that match this description. Show me another word that gives me all of that and I'm happy to use it instead.

When I hear that term, my first thought rightly or wrongly is non-fancy decor, good beer program, food to match. I'm pre-disposed to like such a place based on my experiences with places that are described as such (not ones that necessarily call themselves that). Philadelphia in particular has a long list of places that match this description. Show me another word that gives me all of that and I'm happy to use it instead.

I don't suppose that Gastroenteritispub would work. :-))

When I hear that term, my first thought rightly or wrongly is non-fancy decor, good beer program, food to match.

Wrongly.

The term evokes nothing if not a place for simultaneous hermaphrodites to gather for a piercing game of love-darts, as long as they keep their cell phones on vibrate and tucked away inside their Birkin bursa copulatrix-es (where they also keep their tip-change and breath mints).

In certain neighborhoods, where the clientele is exclusive enough, they will, instead, stand there with their latest 4G pseudo-Pods on the bar, their ovotestis taking up two bar stools, and admire themselves in the mirror, wishing they could just f*ck themselves instead (so giftedly equipped by nature to do so) and make their nautiloid self-absorbtion complete.