Smoked Pork Broth

thistle

I have some frozen smoked rib tips that I plan on putting in the slow cooker to make a smoked pork broth-what would be good additions to this?- to just the stock, & to the broth, to make a really good soup? I need some inspiration...

I have some frozen smoked rib tips that I plan on putting in the slow cooker to make a smoked pork broth-what would be good additions to this?- to just the stock, & to the broth, to make a really good soup? I need some inspiration...

Once you've got the broth, I'd say green chiles and tomatillos. Maybe red chiles too. Possibly potatoes.

To make your broth, put aromatic vegetables in the pot: onion, carrot, celery with leaves, leek/parsnip (optional). Add herbs: fresh thyme, parsley, bay leaves. Add bones/meat. Cover all with water and a few splashes of white wine or dry vermouth (optional). Allow this to simmer for hours, adding water as needed to compensate for evaporation. Strain, chill overnight and remove solidified fat.

As above, smoked pork broth is delicious with any kind of bean soup. Also, consider adding vegetables, mushrooms and barley.

Thanks for the ideas,guys, I have the stock simmering in the slow cooker, w/ onions & carrots-the only herb that I have in abundance right now is rosemary & I was afraid that would be too aggressive for the stock. I will strain, chill & remove fat-it smells great & is a rich, dark color. I scooped out a few ladles for a 16 bean soup (threw some thai chilis in) & bought some collards/turnip greens to cook with the stock, I'm sure I'll have extra to freeze (minus a bit to spoon over the puppies' dinner). Next up is the smoked turkey carcass...

Thanks for the ideas,guys, I have the stock simmering in the slow cooker, w/ onions & carrots-the only herb that I have in abundance right now is rosemary & I was afraid that would be too aggressive for the stock. I will strain, chill & remove fat-it smells great & is a rich, dark color. I scooped out a few ladles for a 16 bean soup (threw some thai chilis in) & bought some collards/turnip greens to cook with the stock, I'm sure I'll have extra to freeze (minus a bit to spoon over the puppies' dinner). Next up is the smoked turkey carcass...

too late for suggestions but beer --a brown ale or not very hoppy pale ale, or an amber lager like a marzen, or a munich dunkel--seems to go as well as or better than white wine in a pork stock, even more so when the stock is made from smoked pork....to me anyhoo

I am planning on preparing several batches of smoked meat broth to see which one I like best. The goal is to come up with a go-to base for beans or greens.

Batch one, smoked ham hocks from Whole Food BBQ department in Fair Lakes. Batch two, smoked turkey drumsticks from Whole Food BBQ department in Fair Lakes. Batch 3, smoked turkey drumsticks, from Koch but sold by Whole Food.

My thought is to add carrot, celery, and parsley to the broth. Chicken broth, as part of the base? Herbs? I am thinking that onions and garlic should be reserved for the final dish.

My guess, in advance, based on prior experience, is that the Koch drumsticks will have an acrid flavor, although they claim that they are natural. Boil and/or rinse first, to get rid of surface smoke? Or let the chips fall where they may?