Our Dwindling Food Variety

ol_ironstomach

This loss is insignificant compared to that of species under cultivation (not varieties as above) from the origins of agriculture to the present day. While exact numbers are unknown, three orders of magnitude is a conservative guess that gets thrown about in discussion. All the more reason to plant something weird in your garden this year! (lperry, proud cultivator of native beetberry (Chenopodium capitatum) and papaloquelite (Porophyllum ruderale))

This loss is insignificant compared to that of species under cultivation (not varieties as above) from the origins of agriculture to the present day. While exact numbers are unknown, three orders of magnitude is a conservative guess that gets thrown about in discussion. All the more reason to plant something weird in your garden this year! (lperry, proud cultivator of native beetberry (Chenopodium capitatum) and papaloquelite (Porophyllum ruderale))

I was just talking with someone about how hard it is to find crowder peas or butter beans and that I wanted to grow them next year. After having eaten pink eyed peas from the market I think I want them too!

Good sources for "weird" seeds?

^ That's a good question. I usually find out about something interesting I want to grow, then search for a place to find the seeds. I've used Seeds of Change, Seed Savers' Exchange, and Bountiful Gardens, all with good results.

^ That's a good question. I usually find out about something interesting I want to grow, then search for a place to find the seeds. I've used Seeds of Change, Seed Savers' Exchange, and Bountiful Gardens, all with good results.

I can also vouch for Seed Savers Exchange. I got great herbs, arugula and tomatoes from them.

lperry you are a priceless asset to us! Thanks for this info.