Sauté Browning vs Roasting Browning

DanCole42

So I'm making a massive quantity of chili for my wife's birthday. For me, one of the most tedious parts of making chili is browning the meat. You've got a stock pot or dutch oven that you intend to fill with beef, and the only way to get proper browning is to do the meat in batches. Lots and lots of batches.

Is there any reason I couldn't, say, ROAST the meat on a baking or roasting pan? What difference would it make in ANY braising application where you typically start with a browning?

So I'm making a massive quantity of chili for my wife's birthday. For me, one of the most tedious parts of making chili is browning the meat. You've got a stock pot or dutch oven that you intend to fill with beef, and the only way to get proper browning is to do the meat in batches. Lots and lots of batches.

Is there any reason I couldn't, say, ROAST the meat on a baking or roasting pan? What difference would it make in ANY braising application where you typically start with a browning?

Is it ground or chunked? I can't imagine that it would matter for a long-cooked chili (as long as you catch the juices, and (if you let the meat dry out via dry roasting) rehydrate it somehow (but not with The Big Needle)).

No reason, roast away. You will get all the browning that you want. If you have a convection roasting setting that would work well too.

How high? 550? Blast the shit out of it?

Why would someone do saute-based browning in batches, then?

This issue came up on eGullet many moons ago; it concerned browning short ribs in the oven, rather than in a pan. IIRC, the oven temp recommended was 400. There are two reasons to saute in a pan--1) you won't gum up your oven; and 2) the fond is easier to access in a pan. Clearly, if you have a lot of meat to brown (for a crowd, maybe?) then the oven method is the way to save a lot of time. YMMV.