Coal Lovin' Pizza

DonRocks

Actually I believe that New Haven style was created by Southern Italian immigrants. These immigrants did not have access to the materials needed to build the traditional Napolitan pizza ovens, and the local wood was being used for the construction of the rapidly expanding urban areas, and was expensive. So, coal fired pizza was born. Delicious, but unhealthy.

I look forward to trying this place.

I bow to your pizza knowledge. What is unhealthy about coal fired versus wood fired pizza?

Not getting into the healthy vs. unhealthy discussion about coal- vs. wood-fired pizzas, but thought I'd mention that Tagolio was decent on my visit, although I didn't remember seeing any coal burning, and the Fairfax Piero's Corner was not good (at least, pizza-wise), when I went (good luck reading the review), and I definitely saw wood, not coal, burning there. I loved my pizza at Joe Squared in Baltimore, but honestly, I don't remember what was burning inside the oven on my visit. Off the top of my head, these are the only three supposed "coal-burning" oven pizzerias I've been to in this area, but I don't recall ever seeing a piece of coal burning. Joe Squared was the big winner of the three, pizza wise - forgetting anything at all pertaining to coal, the pizza had character.

Not getting into the healthy vs. unhealthy discussion about coal- vs. wood-fired pizzas, but thought I'd mention that Tagolio was decent on my visit, although I didn't remember seeing any coal burning, and the Fairfax Piero's Corner was not good (at least, pizza-wise), when I went (good luck reading the review), and I definitely saw wood, not coal, burning there. I loved my pizza at Joe Squared in Baltimore, but honestly, I don't remember what was burning inside the oven on my visit. Off the top of my head, these are the only three supposed "coal-burning" oven pizzerias I've been to in this area, but I don't recall ever seeing a piece of coal burning. Joe Squared was the big winner of the three, pizza wise - forgetting anything at all pertaining to coal, the pizza had character.

I'm pretty sure they weren't using coal, but I could be mistaken. I thought the only 3 coal burning pizza shops close to here was in New York City at Grimaldi's (under the Brooklyn Bridge) and Lombardi's, because they were grandfathered in when they stop coal ovens. I could be mistaken though..

Coal oven pizza is the best from the texture to the taste.

I thought the only 3 coal burning pizza shops close to here was in New York City at Grimaldi's (under the Brooklyn Bridge) and Lombardi's, because they were grandfathered in when they stop coal ovens. I could be mistaken though..

Adam Kuban has been keeping a nationwide map of coal-oven pizzerias.

Larger format map here

Information about Grimaldi's impending move and Patsy Grimaldi's return to the location with Juliana's [named for his mother] here.

This summer I got to the Coalfire Pizza in Chicago - excellent. NB: not affiliated with the Maryland-based chain in any way.