DrXmus

We're meeting friends tonight for dinner. He recently lost a friend in the bizarre two-plane crash nearby you may have read about. He's a bit depressed and said he feels like schnitzel. I said he didn't look like schnitzel, but that's for another day;-) Besides Cosmopolitan (30 minutes away) and Biergarten Haus (30 minutes away and packed for dinner) is there any place in the NoVA area for good schnitzel? Mrs. DrX found an Austrian/German place in Herndon that also serves pizza, etc. Euro Cafe, or something like that?

Thanks!

We're meeting friends tonight for dinner. He recently lost a friend in the bizarre two-plane crash nearby you may have read about. He's a bit depressed and said he feels like schnitzel. I said he didn't look like schnitzel, but that's for another day;-) Besides Cosmopolitan (30 minutes away) and Biergarten Haus (30 minutes away and packed for dinner) is there any place in the NoVA area for good schnitzel? Mrs. DrX found an Austrian/German place in Herndon that also serves pizza, etc. Euro Cafe, or something like that?

Thanks!

FWIW, and with all due respect to EuroBistro on Elden Street, the best of what you will find anywhere in the D. C. area will not even approach the best of what you will find here: http://www.ludwigbec...ch-marienplatz/ I should not be so critical of EuroBistro-I have not been in several years, to be honest.

Thanks for the quick suggestions. As much as we'd loved to have gone to Munich or, as a second choice, DC, we ended up at Euro Bistro in Herndon. What a great night we had! We got there around 8:15 or so, and the rush had just ended for them and tables were starting to clear out. Unfortunately, the servers were in the weeds due to a missing employee and some big parties who had just left. We waited for some time for a server and we finally grabbed a guy who was cleaing up tables and wearing lederhosen. It turns out he was the father of one of the two 16 year old kids playing German music at one of the tables. He said he couldn't help us, he was just assisting the wait staff clean up. He ended up bringing us half a mug of draft beer and said we'll be helped soon. Anyway, schnitzels all around (1 veal, 1 pork and 2 chicken), 3 Schneider Weisses and one Julius Echter dunkel and we were happy campers. The meals were great, no complaints. Spaetzle, potato pancakes and German potato salad were all great as sides. Music continued through the whole meal from the kids, plus their teacher, an older Austrian lady who kicked the accordion's ass, wandered and serenaded through the night. As we hung out, the place cleared and closed. If service had been better we probably would've left with everyone else, but we hung around, got some Jaegermeister digestifs and listened to the music. Eventually, we realized the chef was hanging out and drinking with friends, the kid's dad, and some regulars. One of our group grew up in Germany so we requested songs she could sing and the "band director" delved into each one with gusto and led the songs. What a cool night! We were told she's there on Friday nights routinely.

My only knock is that the menu is more varied than I'd expect for a "Euro Bistro". My guess is that the Austrian chef is married to a Thai lady and hence the smattering of Thai dishes on the menu and the Asian servers. The pizza? I have no idea, but I couldn't bring myself to try it over the schnitzel.

Also too late, but did want to mention that Cafe Nicole in Old Town serves dinner on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and the menu frequently includes Swiss-German items prepared by her Swiss father. Last Saturday Black Forest Chicken Schnitzel was one of the choices, along with a Schlachtplatte, and a venison dish serve with spaetzle. It's not a fancy place, but the entrees run around $15 and include a salad and dessert.