Corned Beef with Mayo

deangold

People similar to those who serve corned beef with mayo, or on egg or white bread, or worst of all, both!

Mayo or white bread is a sure sign of a misdirected gentile, but corned beef on challah isn't a crime if rye isn't handy.

Okay, call me a wannabe, but I agree with Daniel (what a surprise, huh?). Challah makes a "reasonable"substitute delivery vehicle for corned beef (or pastrami, or if you're in Canada, smoked meat), but nice, heavy Jewish Rye (and I mean that in the best bread-y way) is definitely the preferred way to go (and mayo...NO WAY!! deli mustard, even French's or Grey Poupon but mayo...OY!!)

Okay, call me a wannabe, but I agree with Daniel (what a surprise, huh?). Challah makes a "reasonable"substitute delivery vehicle for corned beef (or pastrami, or if you're in Canada, smoked meat), but nice, heavy Jewish Rye (and I mean that in the best bread-y way) is definitely the preferred way to go (and mayo...NO WAY!! deli mustard, even French's or Grey Poupon but mayo...OY!!)

I like mayo on corned beef and I refuse to apologize for it--especially after being in "So's Your Mom" in Adams Morgan when some tourist ordered a corned beef sandwhich with "extra ketchup!"

Corned beef and mayo are both to be found in the canonical Reuben sandwich, than which few more estimable sandwiches can be eaten or, indeed, imagined.

Yes, the base of 1000 Island dressing, the usual sauce on a Reuben, is mayo, but that's clearly not what we were referring to. The base of deli mustard is vinegar, and nobody is suggesting splashing vinegar all over the bread on a corned beef sandwich.

Yes, the base of 1000 Island dressing, the usual sauce on a Reuben, is mayo, but that's clearly not what we were referring to. The base of deli mustard is vinegar, and nobody is suggesting splashing vinegar all over the bread on a corned beef sandwich.

Well, sure, when you're ordering a fresh corned beef, you wouldn't need any mayo because the meat itself provides all the moisture necessary. But if you are--que horror!--ordering a sandwich made from deli cold cuts, I could see using mayo as a replacement for the fat, oil, and juices you'd get from a freshly sliced, freshly cooked slab. Going way outside my realm of expertise here, but I'd bet that's why thousand island got slapped on the reuben in the first place. And if you don't like relish, then, hey, just go back to basics and get straight mayo. It's all good. Ya like what ya like, and this seems to fall into the realm of reasonableness.

The point you're groping for is undoubtedly more evident to you than to me. I wasn't suggesting splashing mayonnaise all over the bread on a corned beef sandwich either. The fact remains that a Reuben is a widely enjoyed sandwich of corned beef and mayonnaise, among other things, and you misspelled "Russian".

Wasting good corned beef or pastrami on anything other than rye bread with 'little bit of deli' mustard is the equivalent of drowning toro belly tuna in a pool of soy sauce with too much wasabi. Why bother to buy the good stuff if you are just going to defile it? On the other hand, if we are talking about typical mass market/super market corned beef, no treatment known to man is capable of defiling it