French Bistro Dinner, Del Ray Cafe-Weds, Mar 13 at 6:30p

Escoffier

I spoke to Chef Sylvain Tonello of La Bergerie and Del Ray Cafe and he agreed to prepare a special dinner for Rockwellians at Del Ray Cafe. We discussed menu and came up with the following dinner:

Premiere cours:

Le Souffle aux Trois Fromages

Bleu, Parmesan, and Gruyere Cheese Souffle

Deuxième cours:

Les Coquille St Jacques et leurs Sauce a la Truffles

10/20 Diver Scallops with a Truffle Sauce

Le cours principal:

Les Escaloppes de Veau au Tarragon

Milk-fed Veal Scaloppini with a Tarragon Sauce

Et pour le dessert:

La Crepe aux Fraises et Chantilly faite Maison

Strawberry and Fresh Home-made Whipped Cream Crepe

Dinner will be a miniscule $60 per person. I had to ask 3 times to make sure that I didn't hear incorrectly. That's right $60 for dinner. These are dishes that Grover and I have enjoyed in Paris and would like to share.

There is a wine pairing available which consists of the following:

First course: Cahors, 2011

Second course: Mader, Riesling Reserve 2009

Third course: Berthet-Rayne Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2010

Dessert course: Veuve Cliquot Champagne, NV

The wine pairing is available for $25 a person. This is a great opportunity to sample exquisite French cuisine for an unbelieveably low price.

If you wish to attend, please let me know. When we get 10 people, I'll arrange for the dinner. We'll dine in a private dining room with personalized service. If we go over 10 people, I'll arrange for a second dinner at a later time.

Okay, I want to do this dinner on a Wednesday or Thursday night (because the chef asked that we do so in order for him to talk about the dishes, answer questions and in general be available). Which would be a better night and when? February 27 or 28 or March 13 or 14?

Let me check on the date if there is still room? But I might be in with a +1.

That won't be a problem. We can have up to a total of 12 which means there is room for 5 more. I will just need to let Chef Tonello know the total on Monday the 11th so that he can purchase the food and start the preparation. This is all fresh, completely off-menu, and cooked specially for we who are dining.

We will gather at 6:30 pm for a sparkly, before dinner aperitif and a chance to meet both Chef Tonello and Laurent the owner. Dinner will be served at 7:00pm.

I was reminded I hadn't posted any reaction or pics about this meal. It was quite good and well worth the price.

First up was, in my opinion, the star of the menu:

Really, this was seriously good. Had an intense blue cheese flavor. I don't see it on the Del Ray or La Bergerie menus, but it *needs* to be on one of them.
So I can go and order it every day.
Next up, and not quite as blurry as it looks were the scallops. Quite good:
Then came the veal:
This was good too, though I'm not the biggest veal fan. Still, I would not say no to it again. I believe there were more truffles in the drizzle which always is a plus! The tarragon mousse was...different. A very earthy flavor. I think I'd need to try it again to be more precise.
And finally, a very light and delicious crepe for dessert:

Not pictured was some very good bread and butter.

All in all, a great success and great kudos to Escoffier for organizing it!