Soft Openings

Choirgirl21

Here's a potentially idiotic question: Is there anything different about a soft opening other than they're brand new and get to blame potential issues on the learning curve (don't mean that in a bad way)? Like would we need to be concerned about heading down to a restaurant only to find out, oops, they're not open tonight? Is the pricing the same? Are all of the menu/drink items likely to be available?

And what is the motivation for going during a soft opening, if any - you just can't wait to check the place out?

The latter seems to be the case for me for Beuchert's and the one comment from a DR member who has already gone suggests we'll have a good experience but I get to dine out so rarely that I admit to being a bit hesitant about trying a restaurant during it's soft opening for fear our experience won't be great. Am I being dumb? :P

It seems to me that soft openings used to be private, friends and family kind of things. Now they're just a way to open a restaurant without the critics pouncing as you work out the kinks. Anyway, a soft opening is kind of like a first date: exciting and new, with the occasional awkward moment. Pacing will likely be off while they find their rhythm, service could be slow if staffing levels aren't quite right, and they'll probably run out of the most popular items, as they don't yet know what these are yet. But everyone is excited and trying very hard. If you're patient, they can be a lot of fun.

This is a great question, and the answer is that an entire Master's Thesis could be written on the subject, probably in Sociology.

Locally, Meshe at Eve (Member #10, btw) has done more to "advance" the science of soft openings than just about anyone.

I've only been to a few Friends and Family dinners, but I remember the one at Proof being the first where I noticed an explicit request not to post anything on the internet. hmmboy (Member #627, btw) was on top of this game early on. How was that 1966 Lafite, Mr. Kuller?

I would love to read your thesis on the matter Don. ;)

I've only ever been to one, but it was a Friends and Family event, not a soft opening. Seems a very different beast to me as we only paid for our drinks. Although everything was outstanding and I would have happily paid for what we ate, the risk vs reward equation seems to be quite different in that type of case.

Here's a potentially idiotic question: Is there anything different about a soft opening other than they're brand new and get to blame potential issues on the learning curve (don't mean that in a bad way)? Like would we need to be concerned about heading down to a restaurant only to find out, oops, they're not open tonight? Is the pricing the same? Are all of the menu/drink items likely to be available?

And what is the motivation for going during a soft opening, if any - you just can't wait to check the place out?

The latter seems to be the case for me for Beuchert's and the one comment from a DR member who has already gone suggests we'll have a good experience but I get to dine out so rarely that I admit to being a bit hesitant about trying a restaurant during it's soft opening for fear our experience won't be great. Am I being dumb? :P

Beuchert's is giving a discount during their soft opening, which I think is a great way to make up for any issues that might arise from the learning curve. From their Facebook page:

Hey friends, while we're in our soft opening,

please enjoy 30% off your meal. We hope to see you soon! Open 5:30 - 11

for now, but hours will extend once we have our official launch (March

15).

Beuchert's is giving a discount during their soft opening, which I think is a great way to make up for any issues that might arise from the learning curve. From their Facebook page:

Darn. Cost was the deciding factor on cooking at home rather than going out. :( Thanks for letting me know though. Hopefully someone else will see this and take advantage. I'm hosting my dinner club this Saturday so unlikely I'll be able to. Double darn.