Vina Cobos Felino Chardonnay 2012

Vina Cobos Felino Chardonnay 2012

★★1/2

Mendoza, Argentina, $20

Zesty with flavors of tree fruit and citrus; a nice touch of oak aging gives body without overpowering the fruit.

Country Vintner: Available in the District at Bell Wine & Spirits, Paul’s of Chevy Chase. Available in Maryland at King Farm Beer & Wine in Rockville, Pine Orchard Wine in Ellicott City. Available in Virginia at Planet Wine & Gourmet in Alexandria, Out of Site Wines in Vienna.

I went by Out of Site Wines in Vienna. They only have 2011 so that's what I got.

Full and buttery with a mineral lift mid-palate. Barest hints of oak. Good finish. Roast a chicken, wait for crab season, or enjoy it with cheese dessert

http://www.solawines.com/PROD/9VCFC.html

88 Points | International Wine Cellar , March/April 2013

Bright lemon-yellow. Musky nectarine and spicy oak aromas are lifted by lime and orange oil and complicated by a sexy leesy nuance. Rich, fruity and sweet, with a glyceral texture and a lightly saline quality to its orange, lemon and tropical flavors. A tad warm on the end and not at all shy. Good chardonnay for the price.

http://www.wineaccess.com/wine/product/11660661/2012-Vina-Cobos-Chardonnay-El-Felino-Mendoza

I'm starting early today. Buttery and fruity but also quite a bit of acidity. I don't think it's sweet, it fact, a bit bitter. I was told 2011 and 2012 were very similar....

Oops. I was told the vintage was wrong in the paper, and I forgot to mention it. Sorry.

I picked up the only bottle of Argentinian Chardonnay they had at the Belvoir Class VI (pretty slim pickings) to bring to the picnic, but didn't even try it, I stuck to beer (that NC wheat beer that Bettyjoan & Jason brought was delicious). I'm not a wine buff, yet, but I'll pick up a bottle of Torrontes tomorrow to try & expand my horizons.

My two cents. I'm not a fan of oaky chardonnay either, even purchasing at some point "Chard No Way" just because I liked the concept.

Nose: Oak, fruit in the background.

Taste: Apple and stone fruit (plum?) in the foreground, smooth, a little spicy ("zesty" from the WaPo?), oak in the background where it in no way overwhelms. There's a green note I can't quite resolve. I would rather pay $20 for a different varietal. but as New World chardonnays go, this one is really quite nice. The problem I have is one of over-oaked palate, I think. I have developed a distaste for the oak flavor because I've had it hit me over the head with a sledgehammer so many times.

As it opens, the oak dissipates more and the fruit comes straight up front. If you were serving wine to someone who likes California chardonnay, this one would go over extremely well.

As a P.S., if you don't like what we are choosing, or find it difficult to find, please feel free to suggest a wine. The worst that can happen is nobody really likes it, and that already happened to Dave McIntyre, so you'll be in fine company. Cheers!

• Like 1

I'll follow up w/ my notes on my alternative choice- Alamos Torrontes 2011 ($8.95-Belvoir class VI), which I selected because it sounded exactly like the taste I prefer- a light, crisp, dry white w/ good acidity. Lovely, floral/fruity aroma, so I was afraid it would be too sweet, but it was not, it was citrusy & bright. It's a perfect aperitif (I opened it last night to celebrate dropping off my last 'team dinner' contributions- ribs, jambalaya, & lasagna) & seems like it would pair well w/ food, we'll see how it tastes w/ my scallop risotto tonight.