Di Bruno Bros., Family-Owned Italian Grocery Store in the 9th Street Italian Market since 1939, with Several Other Locations and Mail Order

I made my way to the newish Rittenhouse Square instance of DiBruno Brothers, where I bought a Cuban sandwich, which they popped into the sandwich press for me, and some young Monte Veronese cheese and some soppressata. I went back to my hotel and ate the sandwich, which surprised me by being one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten in my life.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that diBruno is one of the country's true culinary treasures. I've never been able to figure out why DC can't support a place like this (or maybe just nobody's tried).

I haven't had a ton of their prepared foods, but they have a top-notch selection of the best cheeses, meats, olives, etc...I spent one very, very happy summer in Rittenhouse Square a few years ago. biggrin.gif

I've never been able to figure out why DC can't support a place like this (or maybe just nobody's tried).

To be fair, and conceding that it is perhaps not quite as good (although I have limited ground for comparison), Balducci's, or its forerunner Sutton Place Gourmet, is a place like DiBruno.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

ppps.....if it's a nice day, walk a few blocks from RTM to Rittenhouse Square and check out DiBruno Bros. Watch out for the dripping cheeses! hanging from the ceiling, and enjoy the tons of samples that they put out.

If you get a chance, head down to the Italian Market and go to Di Bruno Brothers. Lots of cheeses and meats, get whatever is to your liking, and some bread, and sit in the parking lot in front of the huge Frank Rizzo and Di Bruno Brothers murals. Now THAT is a VERY Philadelphia thing to do.

To be fair, and conceding that it is perhaps not quite as good (although I have limited ground for comparison), Balducci's, or its forerunner Sutton Place Gourmet, is a place like DiBruno.

Friday I was able to leave Kiko for a little while, and I made my way to the newish Rittenhouse Square instance of DiBruno Brothers, where I bought a Cuban sandwich, which they popped into the sandwich press for me, and some young Monte Veronese cheese and some soppressata. I went back to my hotel and ate the sandwich, which surprised me by being one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten in my life. I made a dinner that evening from the cheese and soppressata, along with some olives and oranges.

Checked out DiBruno's and Reading Terminal Market, nice vibe from both although obviously very different.

We took a quick trip to Philly in late December and had a great time, thanks in large part to the information in this thread. I see that MDT already has posted about the Rittenhouse location of DiBruno's and that's a great idea. If you feel like exploring more of DiBruno's and more stores like it, I'd recommend a visit to the Italian market in South Philly. It's an outdoor market (well, really many, many shops lining a few streets) and is incredible. I do not know if SEPTA stops there, but I'm fairly certain a bus would get you there. Incredible shops and wonderful food and housewares and it has a real "market" feel. It's also great fun to see each shop and the differences among the various butchers and shops. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing back some cheese from a few of the stores. Yummy foods.

Ooh -- also, we visited the new DiBruno's shop (unfortunately, during lunch rush, so decided to postpone a full buying spree until next time) -- looks, smells, and I'm sure tastes great!