Mangosteens

DonRocks

Not much of a data point since it's the left coast, but they're about $7-8/lb around here at some Asian markets (the only place I've seen them). I bought a couple pounds a while back and, while some were overripe and inedible, the good ones were just as delicious as I remembered. Takes you right back to the tropics. And much cheaper than a flight.

• Like 1

Not much of a data point since it's the left coast, but they're about $7-8/lb around here at some Asian markets (the only place I've seen them). I bought a couple pounds a while back and, while some were overripe and inedible, the good ones were just as delicious as I remembered. Takes you right back to the tropics. And much cheaper than a flight.

Yeah, this is probably about two pounds, so it's fine - I had some from a similar batch in the past week and they were *awesome*.

I really don't know, but I Amazoned them and found them to be very expensive. It's unclear how many you get for $78 (shipped overnight), but crystal clear is this:

"5 to 7 plump, moist cream-colored sections whose flavor has been described as... "indescribable"

:blink:

The closest descriptor I can think of is a lychee.

That honestly sounds cheap to me. They were going for $2/each in Kauai.

I would concur. Mangosteens legally imported to the US are required to be irradiated to eliminate the risk of harboring agricultural pests. They're somewhat hard to find here, and often not good when found. Gubeen has been known to go on a binge when we find them in the markets of Montreal, but even there (where they are plentiful and there is no irradiation requirement) sometimes you get a bunch of duds.