Cellar Tracking Software

RaisaB

We have a wine cellar at home but yet have no idea what is in it. We go on trips buy bottles and just stack them in there with no sort of tracking.

Can I get some suggestions on tracking software. Ideally I would love a barcode scanning type, but since I buy so many from small producers at their wineries, these don't have barcodes on them.

I am like Don in that if I open a nice bottle I like to share it. I have opened too many "nicer" bottles by mistake as I don't have a clue! That is when my friends get a call late in the evening, run over I did it again!

Help?

We have a wine cellar at home but yet have no idea what is in it. We go on trips buy bottles and just stack them in there with no sort of tracking.

Can I get some suggestions on tracking software. Ideally I would love a barcode scanning type, but since I buy so many from  small producers at their wineries, these don't have barcodes on them.

I am like Don in that if I open a nice bottle I like to share it. I have opened too many "nicer" bottles by mistake as I don't have a clue! That is when my friends get a call late in the evening, run over I did it again!

Help?

I just started using cellartracker.com on recommendation from a friend. It appears to contain user-submitted entries for wines, and I haven't done nearly as much with it as it appears able to do. It probably has some drawbacks I'm not seeing (aside from possibly faulty/erroneous data), but it fits my biggest need for wine tracking given my admittedly pathetic "cellar": it's FREE!!

I just started using cellartracker.com on recommendation from a friend.  It appears to contain user-submitted entries for wines, and I haven't done nearly as much with it as it appears able to do.  It probably has some drawbacks I'm not seeing (aside from possibly faulty/erroneous data), but it fits my biggest need for wine tracking given my admittedly pathetic "cellar": it's FREE!!

There is some faulty data, but it is getting better. Eric, the owner, is very responsive if you see a conflict, or incorrect data. The only problem I can see is if you want software that creates wonderful pictures of exactly where the wine is in your cellar, it does not do that. However, the interface allows you to designate a position. My problem is keeping my profile up to date.

Can I get some suggestions on tracking software. Ideally I would love a barcode scanning type, but since I buy so many from  small producers at their wineries, these don't have barcodes on them.

Help?

I use www.cellartracker.com for keeping track of my cellar. It is easy to use, allows you to do a lot of things, including print out a wine list or use bar codes if you have a bar code reader. Eric LeVine, who created it and runs it, runs it using donations. There are over a million and a half bottles listed by the users. It is easy to use and navigate, allows you to keep track of your consumption history, read tasting notes from other users, and invantory your cellar however you chose. With over 11,000 users, it is one of the largest cellar software sites on the internet.

Depending upon how you want to use it, I'm sure that there are programs written for Excel which allow you to input and customize your own criteria (i.e. Name, vintage date, drink from 2004-2012, etc..)

Nothing comes immediately to mind, though. I'm far too lazy myself. I go with the old "shove Bordeaux into the back of the cellar and put more immediate drinking wines up front" method :lol:

Thanks for everyone who suggeted cellartracker. I just added my huge (12 bottle) collection. It's great to see other users tasting notes and to view the reccommended drinking dates as I'm more or less a wine novice. In the future, I think it'll be fun to see what I've drank over the years in one place.

Thanks, again!

I have a pretty extensive cellar and I have found the Robert Parker Wine Cellar Management program to be a very powerful tracking tool. There are a lot of wines already loaded in the data base and they include tasting notes (his) and price files. In addition, you can "build" a virtual cellar with racks and bins to keep track of where your wines are actually located.

Good News: You can even download updates off of the erobertparker.com website.

Bad News: I just heard that Wine Technologies (the software company) is discontinuing the package.

Great News: You will be able to use a new web-based program on the erobertparker.com site.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Depending upon how you want to use it, I'm sure that there are programs written for Excel which allow you to input and customize your own criteria (i.e.  Name, vintage date, drink from 2004-2012, etc..)

Nothing comes immediately to mind, though.  I'm far too lazy myself.  I go with the old "shove Bordeaux into the back of the cellar and put more immediate drinking wines up front" method  :lol:

That is funny Joe, because that is the method I have been using until now!

I am going to try and use cellartracker.com, but this is a long project. I have a 900 bottle cellar but I only have about 350 bottles in there. Does anyone want to help me input the bottles? I read you type? :huh:

That is funny Joe, because that is the method I have been using until now!

I am going to try and use cellartracker.com, but this is a long project. I have a 900 bottle cellar but I only have about 350 bottles in there. Does anyone want to help me input the bottles? I read you type? ;)

I recently purchase a barcode scanner and a small label-printer. I can now scan most bottles in and out of the Cellartracker site with ease. If the bottle has a barcode, chances are it will just work and pull up the correct wine in the huge cellartracker database. If not, you do need to input it manually (most wines are in the database, a simple search makes the work pretty easy.

Further, I can now print labels for the back of my wine bottles so, for those bottles that I do not have a barcode on, I can scan those in and out, too. Very cool!

I recently purchase a barcode scanner and a small label-printer. I can now scan most bottles in and out of the Cellartracker site with ease. If the bottle has a barcode, chances are it will just work and pull up the correct wine in the huge cellartracker database. If not, you do need to input it manually (most wines are in the database, a simple search makes the work pretty easy.

Further, I can now print labels for the back of my wine bottles so, for those bottles that I do not have a barcode on, I can scan those in and out, too. Very cool!

IT's funny how these threads jump up after years! I have most bottles imputed on Cellar Tracker, what barcode system are you using?