eM, Chef Will Mason's Modern American One Block Off The Pedestrian Mall in Winchester - Closed

We had a wonderful dinner at a new place in Winchester, eM Restaurant, which is a block off the Pedestrian Mall. It's very small, under 40 seats, with a 5 stool bar area and reminds me of the chic noveau Old Town Alexandria restaurants both in style and quality. We went on a Friday evening with an early reservation and by the time we left at 7:30 it was packed. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. We started with drinks...my wife had a cocktail named "Sitting by the Campfire" which was a mix of Godiva liqueur and marshmellow vodka, an incredible chocolate grahamcracker dust on the rim, and finished with flaming marshmellow that was so good she had another during dinner, a rare event. I started with an Anchor Steam beer and moved to a Samuel Smith chocolate stout for the meal...two favorite brewers of mine that I was shocked they carried. Normally we'd have wine with dinner and reviewing the list, it is a small, but smart, selection of wines designed to complement the food. The menu changes daily. We started with a cheese, sprigs, and sun dried tomato flatbread that was delicious. My wife had the vegetarian eggplant cannelloni with assorted vegetables and ricotta cheese that was a taste treat. I had the Angus filet, which was a beautiful piece of meat seared to perfection with a touch of salt and spice, then covered with a delicious reduction that enhanced the flavors. We ended the meal with a maple creme brulee that was out of this world. I tasted it the entire 40 minute trip back home. Chef Will Mason has created a masterpiece in Winchester. There aren't many places in the Valley, apart from the Inn at Little Washington, I know I'm going back to. This is one of them.

• Like 1

We had a wonderful dinner at a new place in Winchester, eM Restaurant, which is a block off the Pedestrian Mall. It's very small, under 40 seats, with a 5 stool bar area and reminds me of the chic noveau Old Town Alexandria restaurants both in style and quality. We went on a Friday evening with an early reservation and by the time we left at 7:30 it was packed. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. We started with drinks...my wife had a cocktail named "Sitting by the Campfire" which was a mix of Godiva liqueur and marshmellow vodka, an incredible chocolate grahamcracker dust on the rim, and finished with flaming marshmellow that was so good she had another during dinner, a rare event. I started with an Anchor Steam beer and moved to a Samuel Smith chocolate stout for the meal...two favorite brewers of mine that I was shocked they carried. Normally we'd have wine with dinner and reviewing the list, it is a small, but smart, selection of wines designed to complement the food. The menu changes daily. We started with a cheese, sprigs, and sun dried tomato flatbread that was delicious. My wife had the vegetarian eggplant cannelloni with assorted vegetables and ricotta cheese that was a taste treat. I had the Angus filet, which was a beautiful piece of meat seared to perfection with a touch of salt and spice, then covered with a delicious reduction that enhanced the flavors. We ended the meal with a maple creme brulee that was out of this world. I tasted it the entire 40 minute trip back home. Chef Will Mason has created a masterpiece in Winchester. There aren't many places in the Valley, apart from the Inn at Little Washington, I know I'm going back to. This is one of them.

Jeff, have you been to any other restaurants in non-NoVa VA, and if so, which ones would you compare this to favorably? I'm pretty sure my next trip to Winchester will involve a trip to One Block West, but "eM" sounds like it could complete a weekend excursion there.

(For all of you who don't know pizzler, he has a palate, for sure - that's why I'm asking for clarification.)

(PS Why are you called pizzler?)

So, Pizzler...it's a nickname I got in the early days I was on the Internet way before I read about its various slang meanings, some of which are quite vivid. I keep it because I still have a sense of humor.

I've not had a comparable meal in the Shenandoah Valley to the one we had at eM Restaurant in Winchester though I've been trying. A very good takeout place in Front Royal is the Blue Wing Frog on Chester Street. It's primarily a caterer, but has a brick and mortar establishment where you can eat in or get the fixings for a picnic when making the winery rounds. Skrimps (spicy shrimp), Death by Pork, and Pomegranate Chicken are favorite sandwiches and entrees. Don't pass on the cookies...lemon rosemary, salty frogs, and ginger snaps are awesome. The staff is personable and more than willing to fill requests. The dining area is simple, but they do have a huge table there to satisfy both your NBA player friends and children.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to say that, along with the devastating Aug 5, 2017 closure of Ed Matthews' One Block West, Winchester lost another serious restaurant a couple of months ago: Will Mason's eM closed, along with its sibling Bakery, "Bake,"  for the final time in May, 2017. The article merely states that eD is "up for sale," but it's also closed.

May 8, 2017 - "Boscawen Street eM Goes Up for Sale" by Onofrio Castiglia on winchesterstar.com

Perry's in Adams Morgan may have had the original mainstream Drag Brunch in this area, but they didn't have the only one: eM held one on the final Sunday of each month for the past two years.

Mar 26, 2017 - "A Drag Brunch Was Held in Winchester" by Shaheed Morris on localdvm.com

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm really sorry to say that, along with the devastating Aug 5, 2017 closure of Ed Matthews' One Block West, Winchester lost another serious restaurant a couple of months ago: Will Mason's eM closed, along with its sibling Bakery, "Bake,"  for the final time in May, 2017. The article merely states that eD is "up for sale," but it's also closed.

May 8, 2017 - "Boscawen Street eM Goes Up for Sale" by Onofrio Castiglia on winchesterstar.com

Perry's in Adams Morgan may have had the original mainstream Drag Brunch in this area, but they didn't have the only one: eM held one on the final Sunday of each month for the past two years.

Mar 26, 2017 - "A Drag Brunch Was Held in Winchester" by Shaheed Morris on localdvm.com

This is unfortunate, although I always wanted to like eM more than I did. The atmosphere was great, but the food was....competent, I guess? Nothing exciting, nothing adventurous, just solidly prepared. Of course, that's saying quite a bit for Winchester, but still didn't have us flying back OTM to return. Hopefull all involved land on their feet elsewhere.