Chef Charlie Trotter Passes Away at 54

DonRocks

I'm sorry to report this tragic news. Here's the story from NBC Chicago.

Member Number One and I had an incredible chef's-tasting dinner at Trotter's, right outside the chef's table. I'll also never forget the time he came to Gerard's Place and cooked with Gerard Pangaud - it was the first time I've ever had scallops with red Hermitage.

Charlie Trotter was a forward-thinking genius.

Charlie Trotter had an immeasurable impact on my life and career. His eponymous restaurant, his management books, his cookbooks, and the time I was fortunate enough to spend with him, they all changed my culinary sensibilities. I will be forever grateful to his incredible contributions to the culinary world.

As much as his legacy enriched the world, the sudden loss makes us all the poorer.

Godspeed, Chef.

• Like 1

I went to graduate school in Chicago in the mid-late 1990's, when Charlie Trotter's was hitting on all cylinders.  Unfortunately, it was a holy grail for me, unattainable by my own limited resources at the time and the lack of interest from those around me (i.e., U of C PhD students who subsisted on pasta and Harold's Chicken Shack fried chicken).  I never got there.  Very sad news today.

Anybody else remember his tv show? I think it was called, "The Kitchen Sessions with Charlie Trotter," or something like that.  I recall one episode in which he cooked a perfect piece of salmon.  Great ingredient, great technique.

Terrible news. I never ate at any of his restaurants, but he must be counted among the most influential persons in American cooking in the past quarter-century. It's remarkable to think that he made his name while still quite young, and that he seemed to walk away from so much of it to pursue new passions.

I am so upset at this and I don't even know why. We had an amazing, life-changing dinner a couple years ago in the kitchen table and he wasn't even there as it was the eve of his wedding.

Perhaps because it caught everyone off-guard. At 54, he's too young for this to have happened, especially without any warning. He is an icon who we all assumed would be around for another thirty years.

Although I don't know as much as I should about him, I've heard murmurs that Trotter was an old-school chef who took no prisoners and suffered no fools; the man I met during both of my dinners (granted, he was working, and "on game") seemed serene, full of peace, a zen-master, and as gentle as could be.

To state the obvious, the lack of permanence in this world is extremely sad.

Perhaps because it caught everyone off-guard. At 54, he's too young for this to have happened, especially without any warning. He is an icon who we all assumed would be around for another thirty years.

Although I don't know as much as I should about him, I've heard murmurs that Trotter was an old-school chef who took no prisoners and suffered no fools; the man I met during both of my dinners (granted, he was working, and "on game") seemed serene, full of peace, a zen-master, and as gentle as could be.

Jean Louis was 55, Santimaria 53, Trotter 54.

Although I don't know as much as I should about him, I've heard murmurs that Trotter was an old-school chef who took no prisoners and suffered no fools; the man I met during both of my dinners (granted, he was working, and "on game") seemed serene, full of peace, a zen-master, and as gentle as could be.

I assume this has something to do with why he walked away from his restaurant to spend more time traveling with his wife, etc.

Had a great meal with my family there a few years ago before kids. We were there pretty late so our server took us on a kitchen tour as they were cleaning up. I was amazed at how tiny the kitchen was compared to most restaurants of that caliber. One would have to be an old-school chef to run a brigade efficiently in that space. Grant Achatz talks about his time at Trotter's in his autobiography. As  I recall, the dinner itself was amazingly good for what I considered to be not a lot of money. Sensible Chicago prices for "NYC quality" food perhaps?

I think one factor in the restaurant's closing may have been health issues. One obit I read of him today quoted a former sommelier of his who said that he had an inoperable brain aneurysm.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-charlie-trotter-dead-20131105,0,3424072.story

And here is a piece by Homaru Cantu:

http://homarocantu.blogspot.com/2012/12/did-i-ever-tell-you-best-part-about.html