When Delivery Goes Awry

Mrs. B

I would love to go into great detail about how I really needed a decent carryout of spicy gut-clenching Kitfo tonight but I will spare you. Kitfo ordered by a non-Ethiopian/Eritrean over the phone is always fraught with peril and I do understand that, but once we were past the "yes raw" not "cooked" part of the order I thought all would be fine.

I further refined my order to ask for the kitfo extra spicy and the response was "extra spicy?" and I replied yes. Okay, great, we were on the same page. I then asked for specific sides (and was once again was saddened to hear that gomen is not a side) but got the feeling that we understood each other and thought it was clear that I had some familiarity with the cuisine.

I was beyond bereft when my order arrived and the kitfo spicing was something milder than a raw burger spiced with A-1. Really, the sides had more zing. Well yay the kitfo was raw (and that's a plus) but an underspiced hunk of chopped meat doused in plain butter? gak.

I called the establishment (and if you know me, you know this is well beyond my MO) to ascertain that we had a firm understanding that I wanted my food "spicy" not "not spicy"and was told after a long wait that my side of spice wasn't included. Whatever. The butter burger kitfo crap was nasty. They asked if I lived far away and I explained that I lived in Mt Pleasant (15 min walk tops) I asked if perhaps they would have a delivery in my direction in the near future, they were apolgetic but went no further. If this is the way they currently serve kitfo to the public well yuk.

I think they misunderstood and thought I wanted "not spicy" Who's to blame and who bears the responsiblity for correcting the problem? In a restaurant you may send an incorrect order back but delivery is a done deal I suppose, even if you attempt to be quite clear with your order.

I am still lacking the requisite endorphine jolt but I have number of dragon chilies in the house that I will tuck into now that I am finished with my rant.

In a restaurant you may send an incorrect order back but delivery is a done deal I suppose, even if you attempt to be quite clear with your order.
Au contraire, Mrs. B. You can always call back and have them fix it or bring whatever was missing. Even if it's something silly like spicy mustard missing from an order of generic Chinese food when it was explicitly asked for. Across many orders. And always forgotten. You can always get fed up with it and call back and tell them they forgot spicy mustard, in this purely hypothetical example (and also the fortune cookies they forgot). And even though it understandably takes a while, and even though for the sake of argument you were hungry and ate basically all your generic chicken whatever it was by the time it arrived in that particular allegorical sense, the order was eventually filled as placed. Next time maybe they'll be more careful.

--Matt

Who Really Should Just Bring His Own Little Jar Of Mustard To Game And Who Asks: WWPD?

pat8vs.png

Edit: What Would Pat Do?

I think they misunderstood and thought I wanted "not spicy" Who's to blame and who bears the responsiblity for correcting the problem?  In a restaurant you may send an incorrect order back but delivery is a done deal I suppose, even if you attempt to be quite clear with your order.

I am still lacking the requisite endorphine jolt but I have number of dragon chilies in the house that I will tuck into now that I am finished with my rant.

I demand my money back. Really. Haven't had to do it in a long time but how is wrong and incorrect delivery or takeout any different than wrong and incorrect food at the restaurant itself?

Au contraire, Mrs. B.  You can always call back and have them fix it or bring whatever was missing.  Even if it's something silly like spicy mustard missing from an order of generic Chinese food when it was explicitly asked for.  Across many orders.  And always forgotten.  You can always get fed up with it and call back and tell them they forgot spicy mustard, in this purely hypothetical example (and also the fortune cookies they forgot).  And even though it understandably takes a while, and even though for the sake of argument you were hungry and ate basically all your generic chicken whatever it was by the time it arrived in that particular allegorical sense, the order was eventually filled as placed.  Next time maybe they'll be more careful. 

--Matt

Who Really Should Just Bring His Own Little Jar Of Mustard To Game

Right Shogun, but I already used up what back bone I have by suggesting in the follow-up call (that left me queasy) that their spicy wasn't spicy only to be told that it was their spicy but my "extra spicy" part was left out of the order and that's the way it (their Kitfo) is. That left me somewhat cowed. If that's the way their kitfo is well let me just reiterate YUK (and I know that's a lie because I've been eating it there for years and never has it been that effing bland).

I do appreciate your point that those that are slighted for whatever reason need to stand up but dang, I got no balls, once the food has been delivered or in ths case picked up by Waitman.

I almost picked up the kitfo clamshell and stormed back to the resto but was stopped by two things. 1. Adams Morgan Traffic & 2 Appearing like a strident bitch in a restaurant with out a tall man behind me.

Which kind of gets to the heart of my post. If I know what I want at a restaurant with a cuisine I understand and I get something totally different (ie non spiced (though blessedly raw - I guess)) than what I ordered, how do you tell the restaruant that they fubared up my life in a way that doesn' fray everyone's last nerve and leaves the door open to further ordering with. perhaps, authenticity next time.

I too would be quite displeased with non-spiced kitfo arriving at my door. I suppose at least it was raw. Last time I ordered kitfo I recall specifying at least 5 times "not cooked, yes--NOT COOKED!!" I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation, I probably would have eaten it for fear of trying to explain it over the phone. Like you, I guess I'm not very brave.

On the other hand I am most curious what Ethiopian place delivers to Mt. Pleasant. I've been suffering for years up here with bad delivery food and even mediocre Ethiopian would be better than soggy pizza and unappetizing "Chinese."

I'm hesitant to reply but as long as you are comparing to soggy pizza and "Chinese" PM me and I will let you know. I would say thatafter tonight I am sworn off, my daughter still likes the Kik Alitcha.

I would be interested if any of the "Little Ethiopia" restaurants deliver.

Just out of curiosity, why do you order it raw (I've never had kitfo, so I have no idea what I'm talking about here).  Also, how come waitman didn't check the order before he left the restaurant?  He couldhave asked something like, "this IS extra spicey, isn't it?"  Go remove one of his balls, it's all his fault.

Waitman didn't know that it was supposed to be "extra spicy."

Waitman didn't know that it was supposed to be "extra spicy."

And, my DH never asks for the yoghurt sauce for my falafel order at Astor when it's HIS turn to do the run. I guess the lesson here is that we risk just these things when we rely on people to get it right over the phone. I don't blame Mrs. B for not wanting to make a scene. Sorry, I have no answer for this. Just a lot of empathy.

Just out of curiosity, why do you order it raw (I've never had kitfo, so I have no idea what I'm talking about here).  Also, how come waitman didn't check the order before he left the restaurant?  He couldhave asked something like, "this IS extra spicey, isn't it?"  Go remove one of his balls, it's all his fault.

This is Ethiopian steak tartare!