Restaurants showing the Kentucky Derby

legant

The first jewel in the Triple Crown, the Run for the Roses, is held annually on the first Saturday in May.

Is any place doing something special for Derby Day? Where can one go for Mint Juleps and watch the Kentucky Derby? Chef Geoff's (on New Mexico Avenue) has a real neighborhood feel to it and might accomodate Derby watchers. Any place else?

You might try Grevey's

8130 Arlington Road, Falls Church, Va.

Over 70 TVs, including seven large-screens, and a focus on NCAA hoops make this place a prime spot—March weather permitting, viewers can catch the game on the outdoor patio too. The place is "awesome," enthuses Katie, a regular patron. "Literally everything you need right there, and it just has that sports pub atmosphere." Alumni groups in attendance include Kentucky (bar owner Kevin Grevey played for both the Wildcats and, as a pro, the 1978 Washington Bullets), Tennessee, Michigan State, Marshall, USC, Virginia Tech and Duke. Call for reservations; private areas available. 703.560.8530. www.greveys.com.

[The above from On Tap article about March madness.]

Given the Kentucky connection, it's probably a safe bet they'll have Derby viewing and related festivities.

The Round Robin bar at the Willard Hotel always draws a big Derby crowd.

From "The List":

Saturday, May 6 - Kentucky Derby Bash at The Round Robin Bar, Willard InterContinental Washington

Get those beautiful bonnets and bodacious bow ties out of storage. Enjoy one of the most exciting Kentucky Derby party outside of Louisville, the Bonnets and Bow-ties Derby Bash. The event, co-hosted by Maker's Mark bourbon, will feature a live telecast of the 132nd Kentucky Derby at 5:30pm. Master mixer Jim Hewes and his team will be serving up some good ole fashioned Southern-Style Mint Juleps brought to the Willard in the early 1800's by Senator Henry Clay. There will be prizes for best bonnet and bow tie, so be bold. 4:00pm. - 7:00pm. 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. For more information and details, call 202.628.9100

Kentucky Derby, Saturday, May 5th: the 133rd Run for the Roses; 8 days and counting.

I don't know why this horse race fascinates me so. [Okay, I'll admit it: it's a lame excuse to drink Mint Juleps.] Any updates for this year? Although it doesn't qualify for a $20 Tuesday, anyone else have an interest in viewing the Derby at the Willard? Hats and bow ties optional. If there is interest, PM me; I'll move this to the $20 Tuesday thread.

Kentucky Derby Bash at The Round Robin Bar, Willard InterContinental Washington

Get those beautiful bonnets and bodacious bow ties out of storage. Enjoy one of the most exciting Kentucky Derby party outside of Louisville, the Bonnets and Bow-ties Derby Bash. The event, co-hosted by Maker's Mark bourbon, will feature a live telecast of the 132nd Kentucky Derby at 5:30pm. Master mixer Jim Hewes and his team will be serving up some good ole fashioned Southern-Style Mint Juleps brought to the Willard in the early 1800's by Senator Henry Clay. There will be prizes for best bonnet and bow tie, so be bold. 4:00pm. - 7:00pm. 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. For more information and details, call 202.628.9100

Kentucky Derby, Saturday, May 2nd: the 134th Run for the Roses; 13 days and counting.

Last year we went to Bourbon, Adams Morgan. I was disappointed that the upstairs room had been booked, at the last moment, for a private party; the downstairs bar was packed. But we had great fun: one friend, who viewed me, the Hat Parade and the race with great skepticism and cynicism, eventually, enthusiastically cheered on Street Sense.

Although Big Brown is an odds-on favorite, my money is on Behindthebar.

Nellie's might be an option, if only for the "burbon whiskey" wings. Any updates?

Nellie's might be an option, if only for the "burbon whiskey" wings. Any updates?
The "burbon whiskey" wings were just downright nasty. Lots of goopy stuff slathered on the wings. The Buffalo wings, on the other hand, were quite good. As to Kentucky Derby watching: well, let's just say: if you're going to have a large crowd watching a sporting event, at least turn on the closed caption. I had no idea that Big Brown won nor that Eight Belles was put down. Horse racing isn't one of those events you can just watch and figure out what's going on.

Next year: Boubon in Glover Park.