Cozy Cafe, 18th & L Streets NW - Closed

MBK said:
The Best Sandwich Place is in the first floor of 1801 K, a building you can enter on either K or L Street.

What a coincidence -- I walked right past this place today after being too late for the Galileo Grill, but I have never really trusted sandwich shops that seem to be buried in the windowless nether regions of office buildings. Maybe I'll try it next time. Instead I got a sandwich at a place on the same block of L Street called Cozy Cafe -- it's run by a Korean couple and they have crepes, bubble drinks and hot and cold sandwiches. I was attracted by the sign board outside highlighting a bulgogi beef steak & cheese. It was very tasty -- exceedingly juicy, flavorful, and the bun was toasted in the panini press so it was hot and crusty. Dickey's Frozen Custard on I street between 17th & 18th also has good sandwiches, including a hefty cuban sandwich.

What a coincidence -- I walked right past this place today after being too late for the Galileo Grill, but I have never really trusted sandwich shops that seem to be buried in the windowless nether regions of office buildings. Maybe I'll try it next time. Instead I got a sandwich at a place on the same block of L Street called Cozy Cafe -- it's run by a Korean couple and they have crepes, bubble drinks and hot and cold sandwiches. I was attracted by the sign board outside highlighting a bulgogi beef steak & cheese. It was very tasty -- exceedingly juicy, flavorful, and the bun was toasted in the panini press so it was hot and crusty. Dickey's Frozen Custard on I street between 17th & 18th also has good sandwiches, including a hefty cuban sandwich.

Perhaps meriting its own thread, Cozy Cafe also makes fantastic shakes/smoothies (I always loved the peach one) that were a perfect treat after walking to work on a hot, muggy, August day.

Instead I got a sandwich at a place on the same block of L Street called Cozy Cafe -- it's run by a Korean couple and they have crepes, bubble drinks and hot and cold sandwiches. I was attracted by the sign board outside highlighting a bulgogi beef steak & cheese. It was very tasty -- exceedingly juicy, flavorful, and the bun was toasted in the panini press so it was hot and crusty. Dickey's Frozen Custard on I street between 17th & 18th also has good sandwiches, including a hefty cuban sandwich.

Is that L and 18th? Any place that has bubble tea and crepes is worth the extra few blocks for lunch.

I love Dickey's. As the weather has warmed up my principal or I sneak out a few times a week to bring back a couple of cones. It makes those long June afternoons go by a little faster.

I tried the Cuban sandwich at Dicky's today. This sandwich is more traditional than the one served at the "Best Sandwich Place." This one came with the customary sliced roast pork loin, served on a ciabatta roll which has been grilled on the paninni machine. Customary crunchy pickles and melted cheese, with some fresh lettuce and tomato. Darned tasty. Same price as yesterday's Cuban from "Best" but about 50% bigger. But, "Best" is a couple of blocks closer to my office.

Dicky's exemplifies the mom-and-pop sandwich lunch establishement found on almost every block in downtown DC. They were cranking out harnd-carved roast roast turkey breast sandwichs as fast as they could.

So, who else downtown makes a good Cuban?

I stopped by the Cozy Cafe this morning and had a sweet crepe for $1.99. What a great way to start the morning! Although it is not the best crepe I have ever had, it was certainly fine, especially since crepes are not very plentiful in DC. The counter staff were quick and friendly. I'll definitely be back!

I just came back from lunch and wasn't that thrilled. I had a melon bubble tea and the Korean steak and cheese. The bubble tea is actually powdered flavoring with ice and water-no tea in site. It was more like a slushy than tea. I was really disappointed in the sandwich. I was hoping for some spice but there was none to be found. And I am sure there was cheese in there somewhere, I just couldn't find it. The salt and sweet that I assume was what made it bulgoi-esque was definitely there and then some. If I worked closer to it I would give them another chance, but for now it's not worth another shlep.

I just came back from lunch and wasn't that thrilled. I had a melon bubble tea and the Korean steak and cheese. The bubble tea is actually powdered flavoring with ice and water-no tea in site. It was more like a slushy than tea. I was really disappointed in the sandwich. I was hoping for some spice but there was none to be found. And I am sure there was cheese in there somewhere, I just couldn't find it. The salt and sweet that I assume was what made it bulgoi-esque was definitely there and then some. If I worked closer to it I would give them another chance, but for now it's not worth another shlep.

Just for the record, bulgogi is not supposed to be spicy. Maybe they have hot sauce if you like more spice.