Zagora, Barracks Row - No-More-A.

I've read a couple articles lately about the fate of People's Church on the newly crowned Barracks Row (or 8th Street to us Hillies, why does everything have to be a Row these days?). It seems the only bidder on the property is a restaurant group led by Maurico Fraga-Rosenfeld, the man behind Chi Cha, Agua Ardiente, Gazuza and other swanky lounge places around town. Hill residents are up in arms over the potential new owners: noise, traffic, cars etc. and their plans for a 300 seat restaurant/lounge/club. Like his other places, the menu is latino influenced. The liquor license hearing is June 29.

Article in today's Wash Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5060100773.html

Hill residents are up in arms over the potential new owners: noise, traffic, cars etc. and their plans for a 300 seat restaurant/lounge/club.

[insert picture of hillvalley up in arms.]

Watching 8th street bloom over the past few years has been wonderful. If people only knew what it used to be like. But I do not think this is what the neighborhood needs. Parking was tight before the redevelopment because of the Marine Barracks and is now worse.

Friday nights on 8th & 9th between G&I are a nightmare because of the parade. This would not help. It's sad to see the church go.

Hmmm...seing as I logged in enough hours both on Chi-Cha couches (an item of furniture you do NOT want to see in the daylight) and Aqua Ardiente dancefloor, I can't see it as a bad thing. God knows, the Hill has many things, but abundance of style is not one of them. gallopin.gif

It's not like they're talking about a Dream or even 18th St Lounge style club here; at least ChiCha and GuaRapo are nothing like that. I think it would be nice to have on the Hill, especially if there is dancing. As of now, all the dancing I ever do in my neighborhood is in my room (don't get me started on the upstairs of Hawk and Dove)

hmm... a 300-capacity luxurious restaurant in a 4,000 square foot venue strikes me as a bit odd, considering that Charlie Palmer seats 240 and is at least twice that size. Unless, that is, they're planning on applying for a permit as a standing room venue rather than a dining venue...