In Vino Veritas

I don't care for wine. Red sends me to bed and then paradoxically I can't get to sleep. White is all right but hardly something special in my gastronomic life. Funnily enough, champagne has no ill effects, and when that's an option I join the crowd. When I go to restaurants, this abstemiousness puts me out of step with most of my co-diners, although no one has any doubts about my affinity for good food. It also theoretically should cause a problem with the bill, although I haven't worried about that so far. Often I'm urged to have "just a little bit," or in the case of Notti Bianche, a "splash." These people mean well and I am almost embarrassed to decline. I am not an alcoholic, although if I were to plead that case it might mitigate the problem. Still, I like beer and I enjoy a good Scotch The idea that wine enhances the taste of good food is like a stoplight to someone who's color blind. Ironically, my chevalier de tastevin uncle left me a cache of 50 year old Burgundies, which I've been selling for obscene prices or giving as gifts to my friends. Is there anyone else around who, like me, loves food but doesn't get a charge out of mashed grapes? And what is the name of my affliction? Vinophobia? No, that would imply hatred or fear. More like vinhedonia.

I don't care for wine. Red sends me to bed and then paradoxically I can't get to sleep. White is all right but hardly something special in my gastronomic life. Funnily enough, champagne has no ill effects, and when that's an option I join the crowd. When I go to restaurants, this abstemiousness puts me out of step with most of my co-diners, although no one has any doubts about my affinity for good food. It also theoretically should cause a problem with the bill, although I haven't worried about that so far. Often I'm urged to have "just a little bit," or in the case of Notti Bianche, a "splash." These people mean well and I am almost embarrassed to decline. I am not an alcoholic, although if I were to plead that case it might mitigate the problem. Still, I like beer and I enjoy a good Scotch The idea that wine enhances the taste of good food is like a stoplight to someone who's color blind. Ironically, my chevalier de tastevin uncle left me a cache of 50 year old Burgundies, which I've been selling for obscene prices or giving as gifts to my friends. Is there anyone else around who, like me, loves food but doesn't get a charge out of mashed grapes? And what is the name of my affliction? Vinophobia? No, that would imply hatred or fear. More like vinhedonia.

the really good news is that there an increasing number of places that take beer and the food to be paired with it seriously. the next time you dine out i would focus on the places that have a good beer list. i would also be sure to communicate with the server that you are really looking forward to pairing your courses with some of their beer selections.

the really good news is that there an increasing number of places that take beer and the food to be paired with it seriously. the next time you dine out i would focus on the places that have a good beer list. i would also be sure to communicate with the server that you are really looking forward to pairing your courses with some of their beer selections.

I'm hoping this continues as a trend. Apparently the chef from Blackbird in Chicago is opening a place that's all about pairing beer with food. The beer lists at most restaurants leave much to be desired-- they obviously gave it about 5 minutes thought. I've always thought it funny that a place that wouldn't be caught dead serving White Zinfandel will have something like Amstel Light on tap (not that there isn't a time and place for say, a Natty Boh, though :unsure: ).

For about 5 years I couldn't drink (thanks doc) and was amazed at how many beverages were pushed on me. Between the good host who didn't want me lacking a drink to the people uncomfortable that they were drinking and I wasn't to the waitstaff who were so sure I'd enjoy my meal that much more if only I'd listen to their suggestion for wine. I appreciated the first attempt but not the 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

What I never understood about some restaurants was why those who clearly were trying to enhance my dining experience wouldn't hesitate to push things to the point of everyone feeling uncomfortable. I greatly appreciated, and often returned, to those places that never asked or let it drop after I declined the suggestion of a drink.