Bombay Restaurant Changes Name

KOK

A restaurant in Bombay, India will change it's name after many complaints that 'Hitler's Cross' was offensive. Per the story, the owner said the name was only "meant to attract attention".

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=456&sid=890430

The original story was published Monday in the Times of India. The owners defended the choice of the name by saying "We wanted to show we are different, like Hitler was different". Apparently WWII is ancient history in India these days. :):lol: Oddly enough, the swastika (the word is Sanskrit) is an ancient symbol for well-being.

Actually the swastika, or a symbol very similar to a swastika, appears in many old cultures and typically means something along the lines of "well-being". It was stolen and perverted by the Nazi party. Most people don't realize that the swastika is much older than the Nazis and the meaning of the symbol is nothing like what most people would think.

ETA: Not that I agree with the name, I think it's deplorable. Just giving some background on the much-maligned swastika symbol :-)

The symbol is seen in architectural details prior to WWII. Interestingly, on a recent visit to the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian, I saw textiles with the symbol woven in. This is not thehappy meaning in this case.

(insert Dr. Phil twang) WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?