Citi Open Tennis Tournament (1969-), 2014 Champions Milos Raonic and Svetlana Kuznetsova

DonRocks

It was fun reading over the list of present and past champions, scrolling back through time to my childhood. Here is the roster of singles champions, with the number of titles in parentheses (the women began play in 2011). Note also that this was a Har-Tru tournament through 1986 (Har-Tru is a form of clay, is much slower than cement, and favors a grinding, baseline style of play as opposed to serve-and-volley).

Andre Agassi (5)

Guillermo Vilas (3)

Jimmy Connors (3)

Andy Roddick (3)

Juan Martin del Potro (3)

Jose Luis-Clerc (2)

Ivan Lendl (2)

Michael Chang (2)

Thomaz Koch (1)

Cliff Richey (1)

Ken Rosewall (1)

Tony Roche (1)

Arthur Ashe (1)

Harold Solomon (1)

Brian Gottfried (1)

Andres Gomez (1)

Yannick Noah (1)

Karel Novacek (1)

Tim Mayotte (1)

Petr Korda (1)

Amos Mansdorf (1)

Stefan Edberg (1)

Alex Corretja (1)

James Blake (1)

Tim Henman (1)

Lleyton Hewitt (1)

Arnaud Clement (1)

David Nalbandian (1)

Radek Stepanek (1)

Alexandr Dolgopolov (1)

Milos Raonic (1)

Magdalena Rybarikova (2)

Nadia Petrova (1)

Svetlana Kuznetsova (1)

This tournament is worth visiting, especially in the bang-for-the-buck early rounds.  Sure, it's going to be hot outside.  I went twice when it was the Legg Mason Tennis Classic and saw the men's singles and doubles' finals.  I found the latter to be particularly entertaining.  And I can say I've seen Andre Agassi play in person.

This tournament is worth visiting, especially in the bang-for-the-buck early rounds.  Sure, it's going to be hot outside.  I went twice when it was the Legg Mason Tennis Classic and saw the men's singles and doubles' finals.  I found the latter to be particularly entertaining.  And I can say I've seen Andre Agassi play in person.

I played in the qualifier in 2001. :)

One year I watched Agassi take down Kafelnikov in the final - it was a *great* match between two power baseliners.