El Grande International Market

sls

Thanks for the quick response! Sounds like it's worth a trip.
If the store in Alexandria is any example, go quickly because in three months the parking lot will be filled with trash, the floors in the store will be dirty, food will be mis-stocked and there will be 3 cash registers for 500 people.

If the store in Alexandria is any example, go quickly because in three months the parking lot will be filled with trash, the floors in the store will be dirty, food will be mis-stocked and there will be 3 cash registers for 500 people.

My neighbor just told me that she'd been there & had to wait so long at checkout that she just gave up & left to make an appointment - she was in line for 15 minutes. So I guess the slide has already started. Too bad.

Has anyone gone to the new El Grande International Market in the old Hechingers in Springfield? If anyone has, I'd like to know what you think about it.
At 9pm tonight, it was pretty busy, with three registers of at least three carts long per register. By now, El Grande has rebranded itself as "Fresh World" for some reason, but with the el Grande sign up as well. True to Escoffier's prediction, along with the registers, the floors were a bit dirty, the lights dingy, but it was pretty well stocked. The produce that caught my eye was pineapple for $1.99. That price somehow sets off alarm bells for me, although I saw one family with 3 one liter bottles of Pineapple Fanta and pineapples as well.

They have a huge selection of rice, with a better variety of Korean and Japanese brand rices that I have not seen at either Super H Mart, H Mart, Great Wall, Kam Sam, Happy Family, or Maxim. If you are looking for a specific brand, the Springfield location would be the place to go. I didn't browse the actual produce/fruit area, as I was mainly looking for Asian starches, and although they were a bit low on the Chinese mantaos and Chinese-styled dried noodles, there were plenty of options in the rice and Korean noodles.

No posts in 5 years?

I usually shop for produce here (or at LA Mart). I don't know how they do it, but the quality is high, the prices are low and the diversity of products is amazing.

The seafood selection is also quite good.

I like that I can grab some Peking Duck or Korean barbecued pork on my way out....nice snacks for unpacking groceries.

We are blessed to have these places in the 'burbs. El Grande and LA Mart are my go-to places for cryo-vac'd beef and pork primals too.

• Like 1