Right From the Farm

Rhone1998

I'd love to start a thread about favorite local (say, within 50 miles of DC) farms that welcome visitors and offer their own produce, meats and dairy for sale.

This time of year, of course, I'm thinking apples, and would particularly like recommendations of farms that bottle and sell their own (is it too much to ask for unpasturized?) cider. But please share any favorites, no matter what they specialize in. Contact information would be great as well.

Thanks!!

I know they have unpasteurized cider at the USDA farmers market each Friday. (I just LOVE the fact they do that right under the USDA help-only-agribusiness noses!!!). And while I haven't been out there myself, Smith Meadow, which sells at a number of markets in the area is out on Route 7 past Leesburg. I bought some of the most delicious lamb chops I've ever had in my life from them yesterday.

My sons class went to the pumpkin patch at Sharpe's farm yesterday. I am not sure exactly where it is, only that it's up past Sunshine MD. I'll see what info Google can find. The had fantastic apples for sale - including the best mackintosh I've ever had - and cider.

Here is the link to their site. The had eating pumpkins and beautiful gourds too. Unfortunately I didn't bring much home because they only accept cash or checks.

I'd love to start a thread about favorite local (say, within 50 miles of DC) farms that welcome visitors and offer their own produce, meats and dairy for sale.

This time of year, of course, I'm thinking apples, and would particularly like recommendations of farms that bottle and sell their own (is it too much to ask for unpasturized?) cider. But please share any favorites, no matter what they specialize in. Contact information would be great as well.

Thanks!!

Cibola in Purcellville welcomes visitors and has a gorgeous 300 acre grazing farm for their grass fed buffalo, goats, pigs, poultry and rabbits. They sell from the farm as well. Very pretty area to drive to and around this time of year.

Thanks!!

Williams Orchard in Flint Hill VA presses their own cider and its unpasteurized.

I know they have unpasteurized cider at the USDA farmers market each Friday. (I just LOVE the fact they do that right under the USDA help-only-agribusiness noses!!!). And while I haven't been out there myself, Smith Meadow, which sells at a number of markets in the area is out on Route 7 past Leesburg. I bought some of the most delicious lamb chops I've ever had in my life from them yesterday.

I second Smith Meadow. And if you don't feel like driving all of the way out there just to shop, their B&B is very nice. The incredible meat products are just a bonus.