Everything But The Kitchen Sink

hillvalley

For reasons not worth going into I am without a kitchen sink for at least a week, possibly longer thanks to the holiday.

The biggest hinderance this causes is the lack of ability to wash dishes or veggies that don't come from a bag. My dishwasher is lame so I have to wash off my plates and silverware before I put them in. I also don't use it for my pots and pans.

My question is do I suck it up and bring in take out/eat out for a while (which would give me a chance to pretend I'm Rocks, but my wallet wouldn't be too happy) or find an alternative way to clean? I've been asked by the management not to use my bathroom sink so that option it out.

Help :)

For reasons not worth going into I am without a kitchen sink for at least a week, possibly longer thanks to the holiday.

---snip snip snip---

You could always take everything into the shower with you :)

Wow...no kitchen sink and bathroom sink isn't an option? Is there a BBQ available to you? I'd grill and eat off paper plates. Go caveman and eat with your hands.

Aluminum roasting pans?
Hefty has some. The ovenware ones can go into the microwave

http://www.pactiv.com/Products_NA/Hefty/He...ware/index.aspx

When we had no kitchen for about 8 months and the only real water source was the laundry tubs in the basement, we used the microwave a lot, and plastic utensils and paper plates. Can you not even wash out a few dishes in the bathroom sink, hv? we found that the loss of the kitchen sink was the biggest inconvenience of the entire renovation :)

The prepared foods at Whole Foods are expensive but serviceable.

There are a number of soups (mostly Asian--a lot at Trader Joes) that just require the addition of hot water. Trader Joes also has boxed tuna curry that just has to be heated in the microwave. We ate a lot of that. There used to be a frozen microwave rice called Rice Expressions that started to be hard to find that was a quick starch to go with the curry. I haven't looked for it lately.

I was thinking more of the stovetop, but you're right, she could roast everything for a week.
That's what I have been doing so far, except I am using aluminum foil to coat the baking sheets. Two nights ago it was roasted cauliflower andlast night it was broiled lamb chops with fries. Thank heavens I am going away for the holiday :)

Pat, I don't know how you did this for 8 months!

Wow, that really sucks, hv. Two meager suggestions:

Try cooking en papillote--fish, veggies, and seasoning sealed in a foil or parchment pouch and baked in the oven for a spell. It's actually a quite nice way to prepare fish because everything gets all melded together and steamy and it basically makes its own sauce.

Ah, but how to get clean, sliced veggies? Salad bar. It's lame, and it's expensive, but some of those lunch salad bars downtown feature some pretty decent raw, chopped veggies. You can load up a container with peppers, zukes, broc, and others and use that for a couple of meals.