The Studio Museum in Harlem is a contemporary art museum dedicated to African-American artists.  Galleries span two floors with several lofted spaces.  The museum runs several artist shows concurrently, the current shows end March 8, 2015 and the next shows open March 26, 2015 (so best to check their website before visiting).  Suggested admission is $7 and Sundays are free.  Located along historic 125th Street in Harlem, the Studio Museum is near the Apollo Theater and other Harlem landmarks.

The Studio Museum in Harlem is a contemporary art museum dedicated to African-American artists.  Galleries span two floors with several lofted spaces.  The museum runs several artist shows concurrently, the current shows end March 8, 2015 and the next shows open March 26, 2015 (so best to check their website before visiting).  Suggested admission is $7 and Sundays are free.  Located along historic 125th Street in Harlem, the Studio Museum is near the Apollo Theater and other Harlem landmarks. 

Tweaked, what were your takeaways from this visit, if you have any? Did any exhibit, or artist, or aspect of the museum stand out? Was it your first visit? I've never been, so don't know what to expect - your recent trip has given me some inspiration, however, as I'll be heading up to NYC in the fairly near future.

I see they were founded in 1968 - it would be interesting to know of their exhibits that year, given all the 1968 riots there were.

It's generally an ok Museum, but it has its moments.  In 2011-12, they did a dynamite Bearden program and some of their new artist series can be quite good.  Very convenient location, right in the center of things & one can walk to all the known Harlem sites and restaurants (like Sylvia's, although I'm not recommending the place).  Strivers Row (great block of beautiful houses) and the Schomburg are close by as well.