Knowing Which Side Of A Car That The Gas Tank Is On - A Simple Trick That Many Don't Know

DonRocks

It sounds trivial, but how many of you have pulled up to a gas pump in a rental car, guessing which side the gas tank is on, only to guess wrong, and have to furiously three-point it into another pump?

This is the kind of thing that, if you know, you know, and if you don't, you only need to be told once in order to remember it forever.

post-2-0-21194700-1451284862_thumb.jpg

See the little gas-pump icon? The arrow next to it tells you (in the above picture) that the gas tank is on the left (the driver's side). If it were on the right, the arrow would be on the other side:

post-2-0-45276800-1451285204_thumb.jpg

That's it! That's all there is to it! I hope this helps a few people - I, myself, didn't know this until relatively recently, so I figure others might not either.

• Like 1

Is this true across all modern makes and models? If so, you've changed my life! Thanks!

I believe it's industry-standard, and I'm relieved that I'm not the only person in the world who spent the majority of his life not knowing this - it delights me to no end that others might benefit from this seemingly trivial bit of information.

Already knew this one...... but here is a nutty story about me filling up a rental car outside BWI a few years back. Pulled into gas station, knowing the gas cap was on the drivers side. Looked for fuel release lever..... no its not on the side of the seat. OK maybe I missed it, not on the left of drivers seat, maybe on the right? No, how about under the middle? No not there either. OK how about under the dash near the hood release? Or in the glove compartment maybe where the old fashioned trunk buttons used to be? Hell no, and Im crawling around the outside of the car now with the drivers and passengers door opened looking for the damned thing. IM OUT OF GAS AT THE GAS STATION AND CANT FILL UP! OK maybe the owners manual in the glove compartment...... NO OWNERS MANUAL!!! Asked the gas station guy to help...... clueless although I must say he did as good as the driver (me). Called back to the rental car place..... a lot of "on holds" later they tell me what turns out to be the answer...........I am still pizzed about where it was...........RELEASE LEVER WAS UNDER THE FLOOR MAT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE! wtf ????   Anyone ever seen or heard of anything so bizzare? 

The gas carrot! Yep, very important, especially when you are rushing back to the airport.

Already knew this one...... but here is a nutty story about me filling up a rental car outside BWI a few years back. Pulled into gas station, knowing the gas cap was on the drivers side. Looked for fuel release lever..... no its not on the side of the seat. OK maybe I missed it, not on the left of drivers seat, maybe on the right? No, how about under the middle? No not there either. OK how about under the dash near the hood release? Or in the glove compartment maybe where the old fashioned trunk buttons used to be? Hell no, and Im crawling around the outside of the car now with the drivers and passengers door opened looking for the damned thing. IM OUT OF GAS AT THE GAS STATION AND CANT FILL UP! OK maybe the owners manual in the glove compartment...... NO OWNERS MANUAL!!! Asked the gas station guy to help...... clueless although I must say he did as good as the driver (me). Called back to the rental car place..... a lot of "on holds" later they tell me what turns out to be the answer...........I am still pizzed about where it was...........RELEASE LEVER WAS UNDER THE FLOOR MAT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE! wtf ????   Anyone ever seen or heard of anything so bizzare? 

NO!!! I will have to remember this just in case!