Florida Family in Town This Weekend - No Seafood, but American or Italian, Steak and Potatoes Around Thomas Circle

Buckinghamilton

Hello friends,

My cousin will be in town from Florida this weekend with her husband and 2 kids (tween-ish).  If I recall, she's not big on seafood, and she's suggested American or Italian to suit the kids' palates.  Her husband is a big steak-and-potatoes kind of guy.

They're staying around 15th and Mass.  We already have plans to take them to Jack Rose on Friday (at her husband's request), but my parents are looking for a relatively quiet and accessible place (easy parking?) for Saturday.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Buckinghamilton said:

Hello friends,

My cousin will be in town from Florida this weekend with her husband and 2 kids (tween-ish).  If I recall, she's not big on seafood, and she's suggested American or Italian to suit the kids' palates.  Her husband is a big steak-and-potatoes kind of guy.

They're staying around 15th and Mass.  We already have plans to take them to Jack Rose on Friday (at her husband's request), but my parents are looking for a relatively quiet and accessible place (easy parking?) for Saturday.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It used to be Janice McLean in the Holiday Inn; now it's Alvaro Muñoz in the Doubletree, but 15 RIA may actually fit the bill for diners wanting a safe, but decent meal. I know this isn't on the tips of people's tongues when they think of dining, but Muñoz can certainly grill you a steak, and it will be within walking distance of 15th and Massachusetts.

I'm not saying you should spend every meal here, but it may fit the bill for one meal - it's quiet, not at all unpleasant on the inside, and you'll find parking on weekends.

5 minutes ago, Buckinghamilton said:

Thanks, Don - that hadn't crossed my mind, but it makes sense (and would certainly be easier to get into than, say, Le Diplomate!).  

It won't be as good as Le Diplomate, and with Uber, getting to Le Diplomate wouldn't be a problem; getting *in*, you'd need to go at an off-hour most likely. The good thing about Le Dip is that the bread and butter is *great*, and with two possibly cranky-hungry kids in tow, that can be a lifesaver. If you're thinking about that, I would call them and see if you can get a "gut feel" as to when the least-busy times are.

Don't make the mistake I once made: Le Diplomate was full, and I was with Matt, who was starving - we went to The Drafting Table next door because it was right there (and when you're with a hungry teenager, sometimes you just need food - *any* food). Well, it was awful - don't take them there.

12 minutes ago, Buckinghamilton said:

I'll send them both ideas and see what they say.  My parents are coming from Columbia by car, though, and sometimes have trouble navigating the city.  They'd likely be going around the earliest seating of the night, which might help.

8 minutes ago, Buckinghamilton said:

One more thing:  my cousin asked about Firefly (I assume someone recommended it to her).  I haven't been since the DR dinner many, many years ago.  Is it still good?

I would consider taking them to G Sandwich (not Kapnos, but G Sandwich). I had one meal at Lupo Verde and it blew me away; others have since been, and while people appear to like it, the raves are not there (I haven't been back, so all I have to go on is one visit).

Etto would be great, but it's too small and too crowded to risk.

I've been to Firefly so many times it must be measured in the dozens, but not since Todd Wiss left. If you're that mobile, consider DGS Deli.

What about Bibiana or (I know I sound like a shill) Acqua Al 2 across from Eastern Market?  Actually, for your parents coming from Columbia, it's a pretty direct route to Eastern Market. Once the market is closed, those adjacent spaces open up for parking, so it might not be too bad.  That's Italian food plus several types of steak and it's not usually that loud.