Monique DC (Knocks)

I've lost 6 pounds, but that's largely because I was sick last week and had a very small (and sometimes non-existent) appetite. Now that i'm eating again, I figure i'll quickly regain 3 of those pounds. We'll see.

I've made a few adjustments, and there are more to come. I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast or nothing at all. I prepare my oatmeal with soymilk, chopped apples, cinnamon, freshly-grated nutmeg, vanilla extract and, on occassion, slivered almonds. When I eat it, I feel like i'm indulging, which is nice. The oatmeal also gets me through the morning and early afternoon with no hunger pains.

For lunch I have been eating tuna sandwiches with no cheese and half the bun from Potbelly, which moved into my office building about a month ago. For dinner, I have been eating at home more frequently. I went grocery shopping over the weekend. So far, I've made a pot of pinto beans (using the last slice of Jake's ham from the fall picnic), tuna salad w/ mutligrain bread for lunch, and bluefish, which I ate tonight with sauteed portabello mushrooms. Even given all of my planning, I did not consume enough calories today, so by the time I got home at 10:30, I was starving. Talk about ruining an entire day of conscious eating. Damn it! Who knows how many calories I consumed between 10:30 pm and 12:00 a.m?!

That's all for now. Bilrus and porcupine, I have been enjoying your daily food reports. They inspire me. Please keep posting!

Well, all and all, I have had a successful week. I'm not sure that I have lost any weight because of my "new" lifestyle, but I am developing some new habits, and I feel good. Heck, yesterday, I left Corduroy before 9:00.

I have one life lesson to share, though.

Life Lesson #1: No matter how delicious the Palena cheeseburger is, you should not order a second one, even if you tell yourself that you are substituting the second burger for dessert. This is not consistent with the plan.

Pardon me while I loosen my belt.

I am avoiding my scale. I know that I've gained a couple of pounds. I can feel it. And, I can see it. The jeans don't lie. (I know that weight fluctuates, blah, blah, blah). I was feeling sorry for myself earlier today, so, surprisingly, I went to the gym. Que? What I am realizing is that I really want to accomplish this goal. I don't want to get to May and find that i've let myself down.

I have lost 11 pounds or so. I have worked every day since February 19th. My mom has been in the hospital since last week. I am tired, and I have a cold. Go figure. I think that I have lost 8 or 9 pounds because of lifestyle changes i've made (preparing more meals, hanging out less, drinking less, not eating everything on every plate that crosses my path). I think the rest is the result of being sick earlier this year, being busy the last month, and being very stress out for the last week. The work madness comes to an end no later than Thursday. I'm happy to rebound and gain a couple of pounds, because I sure would love a good meal or two or three.

The last time I weighed myself (about a week ago), I had lost 12 pounds. I'm not sure how much I weigh right now. I have been at home with my mom for the last week, so my routine is a bit out of sorts. I haven't been eating much (does the lemon poundcake my mom made before she was admitted to the hospital count?), but I also haven't worked out much. We'll see how it all pans out. I may be away from work most of next week, too, so my goal is to work out this week no matter what, and to continue to eat a fairly healthy diet. I think I have overdosed on the buffalo chili i've been eating for the last three months!

I weighed myself yesterday. I've gained a pound (leaving me with a net loss of 11 pounds), which comes as no surprise to me given the amount of poundcake I ate last week while surfing the net and watching the food network. Such is life. My goal is to step away from the poundcake (my mother made two cakes?!!!), and get my body moving again.

So, here we go again. For January, to get myself started, my goal will not be framed in terms of pounds. Right now, i'm facing the difficulty of getting back to the gym after a three-month absence. So, my goal for January (starting tomorrow) is to work out three times a week, for at least thirty minutes, and to eat out no more than twice a week. I think that's a doable start, and i'll revisit this goal in February.

I've been eating and drinking quite a bit since the end of July, with a two-month hiatus in preparation for my college reunion, at which I think I looked great. It's been downhill since then. So, hello new year, I welcome you! Let's do this!

So, I went to Corduroy and Dino yesterday. Ate light meals, and drank even less. Walked 45 minutes today. Off to a good start.

The biggest problem I foresee is my plan to hang out only twice a week. That would be doable if I didn't have any friends or acquaintances or drinking buddies, but things come up. So, I think I eventually will have to add more workouts to my week, but for now, I am sticking with my current workout goal, and we'll see what happens.

Went to a NH primary watch party last night at Evolution Restaurant/Lounge, which is a new spot on Columbia Road. Ate nothing; drank seltzer with lime. Rock on!

Did another 45-minute walk today. Went to Bourbon tonight for my brother's birthday. Had some Bourbon, of course, and food. So, it's Wednesday, and i've been out three times this week :( , but i'm feeling pretty good. Posting here to keep myself honest and motivated.

I was exhausted yesterday, so I came home, cooked dinner (salmon and black beans), and was in bed by 8. Tonight, well, that's a different story. Let's just say that, after spending my evening at Johnny's Halfshell and Corduroy, i'll be be spending the better part of tomorrow at the gym.

Dreamin' up a new plan . . .

Drat! I did not work out today. I've got a deadline on Thursday, and was at my desk until about an hour ago. Still, no excuses! I should have taken a break and walked downstairs to the gym (in my building!!). But, I did not go out, and I brought my breakfast, lunch, and dinner to work.

As it turns out, I have lost a couple of pounds, but not because of my commitment to working out three times a week. I think it's because I have worked out a bit, and i've been eating less when I go out. This was so much easier last year, but so what. Yoga tomorrow. workout mon, wed.

Funny! It's been about a month since i've posted. I was deeply committed to honoring Corduroy by spending 8-10 days in a row there until they closed on January 31. Some of those evenings are best left forgotten, but how often do you get to close your cheers?! Since then, I think i've been out to eat twice, because I seriously needed a break. So i've been cooking a lot, and I've lost about three pounds this month, but i'm having serious hang-out withdrawal symptoms. Searching for that nice middle ground. My goal is to lose five more pounds by March 31. My co-worker and I are competing, so i've got an added incentive. Yippee!

A recent post of mine from Chowhound: "

Twenty five years ago I weighed 332 pounds (I am 6'1"). Today and most days for the past 25+ years I weigh around 200, perhaps a little bit less. Having threatened my health and my life because of my obsessive passion for food without restraint, I have found a way to control my weight. I obsess about calories: simply, they must be worth it. If they are: foie gras, 86 per cent butter fat butter, 14 ounces of gorgonzola dolce in a risotto for four, then so be it. If the food is THAT good. Today, I'll have an 18 course dinner that's literally 7000 calories; but it will take me two weeks and 70+ miles to walk it off while not wasting a calorie. This works for me. I religiously walk five miles a day: in rain, in snow, in 100 degree weather. But I do it. Everywhere, on business, at midnight, at the break of day. Around Stanley park, on the shore of Lake Geneva, around the harbor in Monaco, on mountain paths in Baiersbronn. But I do it. Having tried almost everything else, this works. And, I have grown to love it. Even to look forward to walking. Even to look forward to "needing" to walk...

If I am obsessed then so be it. But I like myself. I also love food as much as anyone who has ever posted on here. (My mother was a waittress and my father was a chef. On weekends, fifty years ago, we would drive a hundred or more miles just to eat something they had heard might be good!) It just has to be "worth it." If it's not there are going to be miles and miles to walk to "pay for it."

I wish you the absolute best...

A recent post of mine from Chowhound: "

Twenty five years ago I weighed 332 pounds (I am 6'1"). Today and most days for the past 25+ years I weigh around 200, perhaps a little bit less. Having threatened my health and my life because of my obsessive passion for food without restraint, I have found a way to control my weight. I obsess about calories: simply, they must be worth it. If they are: foie gras, 86 per cent butter fat butter, 14 ounces of gorgonzola dolce in a risotto for four, then so be it. If the food is THAT good. Today, I'll have an 18 course dinner that's literally 7000 calories; but it will take me two weeks and 70+ miles to walk it off while not wasting a calorie. This works for me. I religiously walk five miles a day: in rain, in snow, in 100 degree weather. But I do it. Everywhere, on business, at midnight, at the break of day. Around Stanley park, on the shore of Lake Geneva, around the harbor in Monaco, on mountain paths in Baiersbronn. But I do it. Having tried almost everything else, this works. And, I have grown to love it. Even to look forward to walking. Even to look forward to "needing" to walk...

If I am obsessed then so be it. But I like myself. I also love food as much as anyone who has ever posted on here. (My mother was a waittress and my father was a chef. On weekends, fifty years ago, we would drive a hundred or more miles just to eat something they had heard might be good!) It just has to be "worth it." If it's not there are going to be miles and miles to walk to "pay for it."

I wish you the absolute best...

Thank you very much, Joe. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

I am happy to report that I met my goal of losing five pounds by March 31. Yeah! Now, I need to get my body in motion. I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago, so I've been taking it easy on the exercise, but there are some lower-body exercises I can do (like walking, walking, walking!) that should be fine.

The goal for April: walk 30 minutes, four times/week; lose 4 pounds

*ETA: I didn't lose my arms in the accident! ;) I injured my neck and back, so my ability to do upper-body exercises is limited for now. Thanks for your concern!