Mathew Brady (1822-1896) - American Photographer, Most Famous for Presidential Photographs

DonRocks

I just watched this episode of the Dick van Dyke show, probably for the first time in thirty years.

In it, Rob Petrie mentions Mathew Brady, and I'm saying to myself, 'Who in the heck is Mathew Brady?!'

Well, Mathew Brady is perhaps the photographer whose work you've seen more than any other in your entire life!

Every time you pull out a penny, or a five-dollar bill, you're looking at a Mathew Brady. Who knew?

A friend of mine works for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (if you carry US currency you are carrying his handiwork), they use original source material like early photography and paintings to develop the engravings on US currency.  Fascinating stuff.

You know, Brady had his studio during the Civil war in the Apex Building, which narrowly escaped demolition during one of the crazes for tearing down wonderful old Washington buildings and putting up new eyesores in their place. Walt Whitman nursed maimed and dying Union soldiers nearby.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Hersch said:

You know, Brady had his studio during the Civil war in the Apex Building, which narrowly escaped demolition during one of the crazes for tearing down wonderful old Washington buildings and putting up new eyesores in their place. Walt Whitman nursed maimed and dying Union soldiers nearby.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? 

Keep things like this coming.