Mt. Desert Island Ice Cream, Mount Pleasant

A new entry into the very very good ice cream category - Mt. Desert Island Ice Cream in Mount Pleasant (3110 Mt. Pleasant, NW DC). There are two stores in Maine (the Obamas went to one a few years ago, they say), and this store here just opened up. $10/pint, and of course you can get cones etc. I bought two pints - (1) Kulfi, (2) "Bay of Figs" (figs in fig ice cream) - both were astoundingly good. Tried a thai spicy (peanut and a good bit of cayenne, etc.) and a buttermint (like those funny little mints in old fashioned restaurants) and both were great. Flavors are relatively innovative but not willfully ridiculous. After I went and ate and loved, I realized that the local partners are friends of friends of mine; but I swear I loved the ice cream before I knew that.  Check it out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheldman said:

A new entry into the very very good ice cream category - Mt. Desert Island Ice Cream in Mount Pleasant (3110 Mt. Pleasant, NW DC). There are two stores in Maine (the Obamas went to one a few years ago, they say), and this store here just opened up. $10/pint, and of course you can get cones etc. I bought two pints - (1) Kulfi, (2) "Bay of Figs" (figs in fig ice cream) - both were astoundingly good. Tried a thai spicy (peanut and a good bit of cayenne, etc.) and a buttermint (like those funny little mints in old fashioned restaurants) and both were great. Flavors are relatively innovative but not willfully ridiculous. After I went and ate and loved, I realized that the local partners are friends of friends of mine; but I swear I loved the ice cream before I knew that.  Check it out.

Amazing that they're here -- been to the one in Portland and it was great.  Abundance of (sweet) riches now on Mt. Pleasant St.:  Choosing between Elle/Paisley Fig chocolate oat almond cookies and MDI ice cream is gonna be agonizing. 

I am glad they did not close for the whole winter this year - we have been getting takeout pints from here semi-regularly. In normal times, we stop for cones when we have dinner in Mt P.  Right now, I am working on a pint of lemon poppyseed with berry swirl. The boy has a pint of Uncle Marshall's Fruitcake (It was on sale. I think it is an attempt to clear out the end of the holiday stuff.) It's the second pint he has had of this, and he REALLY likes it. A rum ice cream with chunks of fruitcake. I just looked at the menu, and they currently have a miso butterscotch. Since one of my favorite ice creams to make is miso strawberry, and that has a strong butterscotch flavor, I would really like to try their miso butterscotch!

Dinner at Purple Patch, so we picked up some ice cream pints. Praline for me - never had it before. SOOOO good. Salted caramel for him - also delicious.

Miso butterscotch was only in the ice cream sandwiches, so didn't get it. Sad.

After dinner in the Purple Patch streetery on Friday, we took a walk down the street to have cones. They had peanut butter, which was really good. I had it in a cone, with a little hat of chocolate. He had salted caramel. Friends had the orange, and a duplicate of my order. And it was good.

• Like 1