Grimaldi's Coal Brick-Oven Pizzeria

This past weekend, when visiting, NYC, we wanted pizza for dinner and Grimaldi's was close to the hotel.  It was well reviewed and looked pretty authentic so we decided to give it a try.  We walked about 10 minutes and arrived and were promptly seated.  The space is typical NYC, small with close tables and a coal fired pizza oven in the back.  Pizzas here are hand tossed, mozzarella is fresh and sliced, goes on first, then toppings, then sauce, some olive oil, and torn basil.  We ordered a large pie, half olive, half plain.  Olives were oil cured.  The 9yo and I wandered to the back to watch them make pizzas.  She was amazed how they started with a disc of dough, and tossed it into a thin crust.  She was amazed at how fast it went.  We watched them make our pie and then timed how long it took to cook.  It clocked in at just under 4 minutes.  The pizza tasted really good with a good char on the crust.  We all ate more than we should have.  We also ordered the buratta app, which was a large globe, with sliced cherry tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic and topped with some basil.  It was really good.  Everyone left full and satisfied.

• Like 1

Okay, this post (unlike the Yonah Shimmel one) I can weigh in on, as there are lots of excellent pizza places using lots of kinds of ovens in existence in this immediate neighborhood.  I know this because I live in the immediate neighborhood (Brooklyn Heights, 10 blocks away).  It's "okay".  Its a long story, but Grimaldi's is not owned by Patsy Grimaldi, who retired and sold the name years ago.  However, due to some really fun Brooklyn story stuff, he came out of retirement and opened Juliana's, which is right next door.  I'm glad you liked Grimaldi's, but most locals agree that Juliana's is better.  So there.

(of course, the above is written without too much seriousness since, if you enjoyed the experience and the food, the rest is just internet chatter)

Next time, let me know you're in the neighborhood.  I'll show you around.

44 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Okay, this post (unlike the Yonah Shimmel one) I can weigh in on, as there are lots of excellent pizza places using lots of kinds of ovens in existence in this immediate neighborhood.  I know this because I live in the immediate neighborhood (Brooklyn Heights, 10 blocks away).  It's "okay".  Its a long story, but Grimaldi's is not owned by Patsy Grimaldi, who retired and sold the name years ago.  However, due to some really fun Brooklyn story stuff, he came out of retirement and opened Juliana's, which is right next door.  I'm glad you liked Grimaldi's, but most locals agree that Juliana's is better.  So there.

(of course, the above is written without too much seriousness since, if you enjoyed the experience and the food, the rest is just internet chatter)

I have never claimed to be the most knowledgeable about food or restaurants, especially in NYC, which I get to maybe once a year, but often times every other year.  What I do know is that we wanted pizza for dinner, this came up in google searches and was highly rated, it was a short walk from the hotel, and 9 year old was exhausted from waking up at 4:30 am for an early train from DC.  Needed to make a quick decision and we were not let down.  The pizza was good.  Was it the "best" I don't know, perhaps, at that instant it was.  Should others take my advice?  Maybe or maybe not.  There are tons of choices to eat pizza in NYC, and tons of opinions.

• Thanks 1

I have absolutely no disagreement with that.  Glad you enjoyed it.  And, glad you dug up that article.  This story is, indeed, a landmine that touches on way more than which is the best pizza and probably would've made a good diversion episode on a couple of TV series.  Old Brooklyn at its best.  If anyone has any interest, pm me and I'll spin the tale for you.

(as an aside, one of the apartments in the building on the corner of that block toward the water, served as Jimmy Smits run-down place when he played a cop in NYPD Blue.  Pre-Shake Shack and gentrification).

On 11/25/2019 at 10:53 AM, Steve R. said:

Minor thread jack. I'm going to be in Midtown East for work next week. Care to recommend any good pizza spots? Thanks!

Most of the really good by the slice places are in Brooklyn and some are in areas that will take too much time to get to unless you really, really want pizza.  And some of the very good Manhattan places, like Keste, are pies only.  But I can give names if either of those options appeal to you.  Specific to Midtown East -- I got nothin'.

On a completely other thread drift note, if you have a hankering for a very unusual sandwich place (with short hours) in the East Village, some friends of mine opened Foxface on E.8th off of 1st Ave.  Some of the past special sandwiches have included camel, snapping turtle, elk....   well, you get the idea:  https://www.instagram.com/foxface_nyc/.  If the owners are there (Sivan or Ori), tell them Steve R. sent you and you'll get the special surcharge added on.