If you've seen director Bong Joon-ho's Palme d'Or-winning "Parasite" (2019), I suggest the possibility of *not* seeing his earlier film, "Snowpiercer" (2014), mainly because it might serve to lower your opinion of "Parasite."

If anyone here has seen both, and wishes to discuss, chime in; otherwise, consider following my advice here. "Snowpiercer" isn't a bad film; it's just showing the reactionary side of a director who apparently needed a few more years to mature.

My wife went to see "Parasite" with a friend (she liked the first part and then thought "the movie became a mess" & "missed the target") so I haven't gone.  Had I known that his previous film was "Snowpiercer", I wouldn't have gone twice.  Boy, did I hate that movie.  If a discussion develops here, I'll think back & try to remember specifics; otherwise, I'd just as soon let the bad overall memory lie in peace.

10 hours ago, Steve R. said:

My wife went to see "Parasite" with a friend (she liked the first part and then thought "the movie became a mess" & "missed the target") so I haven't gone.  Had I known that his previous film was "Snowpiercer", I wouldn't have gone twice.  Boy, did I hate that movie.  If a discussion develops here, I'll think back & try to remember specifics; otherwise, I'd just as soon let the bad overall memory lie in peace.

See "Shoplifters," trust me - it's one of the best films I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

I saw "Snowpiercer" once when it was first released. Though I had some issues with the technical logistics, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and thought the acting was spectacular. Considering that the director spoke little English, it was an impressive directorial effort. Have not seen, nor plan to see, "Parasite", as I understand that it crosses into typical Korean violent slasher/horror territory, which I do not care for.

1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

What does Shoplifters have to do with Snowpiercer or Parasite?

Not much, other than that:

*Parasite won the Palme d'Or the year after Shoplifters
*Shoplifters is Japanese; Parasite is South Korean, both being subtitled
*Parasite starts off so identically to Shoplifters that you might feel one "influenced" the other

Because of the above, I feel it's imperative to watch "Shoplifters" before "Parasite."

Numerous people are saying "Parasite" is the "Film of the Decade"; I'm saying that "Shoplifters" may be a Top 10 Film of my lifetime.

I saw Parasite here, and it was the first of two films I saw there that weekend - hint, hint, hint:

AngelikaMosaic.jpeg

On 12/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, Steve R. said:

I had the same impression of "Parasite" as your wife. But I liked it more than I liked "Snowpiercer." 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:04 AM, DonRocks said:

See "Shoplifters," trust me - it's one of the best films I've ever seen in my life.

"Shoplifters" is a wonderful film. It would be among my top ten favorite movies.