Stanley Kubrick (1928-1999) - Legendary Director Responsible for "Dr. Strangelove," "A Clockwork Orange," and "2001"

DonRocks

I watched this (amateur-ish) Top 10-Ever listicle of Stanley Kubrick films, and came to the following conclusion, with which some may disagree:

Of the Top 10, exactly 3 were on my "Best Ever" list: "Dr. Strangelove," (1964) "2001," (1968), and "A Clockwork Orange" (1971).

The others - all of them - were on my "Really Good" list, but not my "Best Ever" list (I haven't seen "Lolita" (1962) or "Barry Lyndon" (1975)).

What do others think?

(The list itself is unimportant, and nothing more than a starting point for this thread.)

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I watched this (amateur-ish) Top 10-Ever listicle of Stanley Kubrick films, and came to the following conclusion, with which some may disagree:

Of the Top 10, exactly 3 were on my "Best Ever" list: "Dr. Strangelove," (1964) "2001," (1968), and "A Clockwork Orange" (1971).

The others - all of them - were on my "Really Good" list, but not my "Best Ever" list (I haven't seen "Lolita" (1962) or "Barry Lyndon" (1975)).

What do others think?

(The list itself is unimportant, and nothing more than a starting point for this thread.)

I've long thought "Barry Lyndon" is his best, but haven't seen it in years and need to revisit it.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:04 AM, Marty L. said:

I've long thought "Barry Lyndon" is his best, but haven't seen it in years and need to revisit it.

Interesting. I watched "Lolita" last week (liked it; the book is way better), and have almost watched "Barry Lyndon" a couple of times since then, but a three-hour period piece sounds like torture to me. I haven't read anything about it because I don't want to ruin it, but if anyone here can urge me to see it, I will.