Now Open: Pearl's Bagels, a New Jersey-style bagelry. 1017 7th St, NW

In the old Hogo spot, the long-awaited (Oliver and Allee and Pearl are our neighbors, we've been waiting very impatiently) Pearl's is finally open for same-day online ordering. I'm not a bagel expert, but these are some of the best bagels I've had in a long while. (not like I am getting back to NYC anytime soon, alas...) Good bite, good flavour, they toast up excellently and aren't too dense on the inside. RIP my waistline. https://www.pearlsbagels.com/

From a neighborhood email I just got:

For now we’ll be open Thursdays-Sundays from 8am to noon 
(or until we sell out of bagels).

To keep contact to a minimum, we're asking all customers to place their orders on our website

pearlsbagels.com 
or
toasttab.com/pearls-bagels

Orders will be ready for contactless pick-up at the front door of the shop in about 10-30 minutes.

We’re in the process of staffing up to be able to make sandwiches, but for now we’re selling just bagels, tubs of cream cheese, cold brew iced coffee, smoked salmon and whitefish salad from DC’s Ivy City Smokehouse, Epic Curing bacon (from the team behind Ivy and Coney), Little Wild Things microgreens and other sandwich fixings.

On weekends we’re also offering build-your-own bagel sandwich boxes:

The Lox Box includes 6 assorted bagels, 4 oz of novalox, 8 oz of cream cheese, pickled red onions, a tomato, capers and microgreens;
and the BEC box includes 6 assorted bagels, a pound of epic curing bacon, 12 ounces of sliced tillamook cheddar, a half-dozen cage free eggs and little jar of ketchup.

1 hour ago, turbogrrl said:

In the old Hogo spot, the long-awaited (Oliver and Allee and Pearl are our neighbors, we've been waiting very impatiently) Pearl's is finally open for same-day online ordering. I'm not a bagel expert, but these are some of the best bagels I've had in a long while. (not like I am getting back to NYC anytime soon, alas...) Good bite, good flavour, they toast up excellently and aren't too dense on the inside. RIP my waistline. https://www.pearlsbagels.com/

Those look *way* too puffy.

We ordered a lox box from Pearl's Bagels a few weeks ago and the bagels were fine. A little too chewy for my taste, but not bad. The bagel basics are there, including the hole. The cream cheese/lox (from Ivy City) to bagel ratio needs improvement towards more cream cheese and lox, but that is an easy fix. Given the dearth of nearby bagel options, and given the coronavirus pandemic situation, I lean towards being supportive and hopeful for improvement.

Bagels are a weekend treat for us and our preference is grabbing Call Your Mother bagels from the MVT farmers market, but Pearl's is a good backup when that is not an option.