Article from Washingtonian about how Nara-Ya came to be.

Steve chose this restaurant.  I didn't object because I haven't heard much about this joint at all.

This place is on the third floor above La Vie & Mi Vida with a nice view of the water.  The dining room is very pretty, but you can't eat the view.

We started with uni butter that came with very few rice crackers for $15.  There was no uni flavor and I had no great desire to eat plain butter with rice crackers.  We also had a roll called "Its Business Time" for $22.  Avocado, king crab, unagi, lemon zest, mascarpone and the whole thing is tempura battered and fried.  The big issue is that the rice was mushy, as in they cooked it with too much water.

Second course was Smoked Zuke Tuna ($27) - raw tuna served under a cloche of smoke.  In retrospect, I don't know why we would ever want to eat smoked tuna sashimi.  The smoke doesn't enhance the flavor of tuna in any way.  There was very little fish too.   The Prawn Okonomiyaki ($24)was a tasty okonomiyaki serve with 1 overgrilled prawn.  I cut it in half and gave the tail end to Steve and he spat it out.  

Last course was green tea soba noodles ($23).  The noodles were overcooked the kombu broth really just tastes like soy sauce.  They can at least pan sear some scallops ($26).

The table next to us was there just to put it on their social media.  They each had a drink and one roll and spent most of the time taking pictures of themselves and chatting with the waiter.  

For the avoidance of any doubt, I do not recommend going to this place.  Steve had to apologize for picking the place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, Not sure it has improved much since 2021. Went with a group of people and will say that everybody loved it and cleared their plates. My feelings were mixed. It's fanciful with a great view and very expensive like everything on the Wharf. We started with fried cauliflower which had some deconstructed guacamole-type substance under it. Amazing. The pork gyoza, however wasn't that flavorful. 

For mains, two at the table got scallops and they finished their 3 huge scallops and whatever was under it.  (I know, this is a lazy review but I'm just going to be lazy b/c the one above should still stand). Another got the sashimi dinner entree and was very happy. 

I, however, was surprised by the rolls. "District Spice" is a spicy tuna roll for $16. I've had tastier from Harris Teeter. Seriously, this was bland. All it had was a little heat.  Naraya-ya was less bland. I ate about half and my 10 year old ate the other half as I took it home b/c 3 rolls are way too much for one me. For 18$ and for it being their namesake, I'd expect more. The product description says "spicy" but I didn't detect heat. Rainbow Roll at 20 was the best. Isn't that sad though that the fancy california roll was my favorite? Sure, it could be me but I doubt it. 

My colleague got the Santa Fe and DC Diablo and seemed happy and finished everything. It might be worth a trip for one 20-dollar drink, one 20-dollar roll and some cool pics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1