Jolloff Etcetera - Owner Obi and Funmi Onuoha's Nigerian Mini-Chain in Landover Hills and White Oak Shopping Center

I was passing by White Oak Shopping Center yesterday, and noticed that there are not one, but two, Nigerian restaurants there now.

image.jpeg

The restaurant on the far left of the photo is "Langano Ethiopian Bar & Restaurant," but I went to Jolloff Etcetera, a Nigerian fine dining establishment run by the affable Obi Onuoha and Funmi Onuoha.

In a hurry, I got some of only hand-holdable food they offer: a Fish Patty and a Chicken Patty ($8 total, but I think that's only because I took the last two). They were wonderful, something not unlike a hypothetical cross between a Jamaican Patty, a Samosa, and an Empanada - well-seasoned and lightly spiced, but not spicy. I had an ever-so-slight preference for the fish patty because I don't know if I've ever had a fish patty before, and this contained real chunks of good whitefish (the chicken contained real chunks of good chicken) - nothing processed or molded in these.

image.jpeg - (mask for perspective)

I only got a chance to sit in the front waiting area, and didn't see the dining room, but as well as offering carryout, Jolloff Etcetera is a sit-down, date-night restaurant with the original branch in Landover Hills. You can look at their website above to see the menu and dining room. What a wonderful surprise this was.

This screenshot is from "Nigerian Restaurant Jolloff Etcetera Opens Gourmet Dining in Hyattsville," Nov 7, 2022 on tantvstudios.com

image.png 

If you do a search on "Jolloff Etcetera YouTube," you'll find several videos there as well.

• Like 2

We asked Vincent, our Nigerian born personal trainer, for his assessment of Jolloff Etcetera compared to other establishments he and his family go for Nigerian food. He said that in his view Jolloff Etcetera has the best jolloff rice and egusi. 

FWIW, last year for Christmas, Vincent treated us to a Nigerian feast from Kingsway and it was amazing. Pepper soup, jolloff rice, efo riro, egusi, fried fish, fufu, goat, it was all really good and we ate well for days. It was so good we asked Vincent to bring some of that jolloff rice for our house warming earlier this year and he generously brought over a whole catering tray and all our guests loved it. Can't wait to try the jolloff rice at Jolloff Etcetera. 

• Thanks 1

The aforementioned Vincent stopped by yesterday with two orders of jolloff rice w/ goat and an order of efo riro for us. As the kids say, "it slaps." The jolloff rice was pure comfort food. The spices/seasoning was delicious and it had a good amount of heat, but not too much. Each order came with two decent sized pieces of goat, one very meaty and one with a little more fat/tendon. The efo riro was also delicious and we welcomed the greens even if they were cooked in a healthy amount of oil. 

• Like 1