Jiwa Singapura - Singaporean restaurant in Tysons Galleria

After traveling to Urban Hawker (review here) in NYC, I was curious to try out some Singaporean cuisine here.  

So on Friday I made a last minute reservation at Jiwa.  They had plenty of reservations available and the restaurant wasn't crowded at all.  

I got a table in the bar area during happy hour.  The happy hour special is you get a satay for every drink you ordered.  So I got a chicken satay and a shrimp satay - both were perfectly cooked and quite tasty.  Better than most things I paid for.

First up is popiah, described as "fresh spring roll with shitake, vegan mushroom XO sauce."  I believe market studies have shown that non-vegans will avoid ordering anything described as vegan.  In this case, the vegan description probably isn't necessary.  In any case, I like the shroomy flavor but the popiah was served chilled which diminished the flavor of the shrooms.  

Next is Lala Kam Heong - steamed clams, curry leaves, and chili.  That red chili condiment is sweet and spicy, kind of like the sauce of the chili crab I had at Urban Hawker.  Loved this dish.

Lastly I had the laksa.  It's an expensive but tiny bowl of noodles with a thin coconutty broth.  This was not a real laksa.  You can buy better instant laksa at an Asian grocery store.

popiah.jpeg

clam.jpeg

laksa.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Tysons can't support anything high end other than steak houses.  Also, the food wasn't great.  

Unfortunate, but true. Inox was one of the best restaurants in VA, period, over the past fifteen years or so. Was ahead of it's time. Jiwa's location was worse than Inox's, and while mall foot traffic may look closer to "normal", offices are still not consistently full. Tough environment to succeed in.

Tysons has over the years become the Mecca for bland food in the metro area. You would think with the diverse population density in the area, unique restaurants would be able to flourish.

However with Seven Corners and Annandale just a couple exits down on the beltway, Tysons is mainly just 'mall food'. 

• Haha 1