Sterilizing Sponges

They're in such short supply. It's not like you can just run to the store and buy new sponges.

Plus, if you REALLY want a foul odor to permeate your kitchen, by all means...

:lol:

Yes, but don't you hate it when you've just gotten out a pristine, new sponge and someone leaves it lying around wet and you pick it up the next day and it STINKS! Of course another solution it to throw it in the washing machine with a load of wash.

I put ours in the dishwasher. Well, we don't use sponges, per se, we use green scrubbies to scrub, and those go through the dishwasher just fine, and yellow microfiber cloths to wipe. The microfiber cloths are laundered in a bleach load with other bleachables.

When my mother comes over, she uses a "sponge" (synthetic), and that we put in the dishwasher, as well, and it doesn't stink.

Fat, fluffy, hard-working microfiber cloths are ridiculously cheap if you buy them in a twelve pack and last forever. Use another pack to polish silver, scrub and wax the car (use a different cloth for washing and waxing), pick up spilled paint, etc.

If you don't use a dishwasher, make a bleach water solution in a container, and soak.

Unless you have natural sponges, which I have never used, so can't opine about.

They're in such short supply. It's not like you can just run to the store and buy new sponges.

Ah the disposable kitchen....another addition to the land fill. :lol:

I tend to use mine till they fall apart probably more so for laziness then the environmental soap box I just preached.

Keep in mind, that this sterilization technique also works for plastic scrubbers and is not limited to sponges. The scrubbers I use cost about $3-$4 apiece and I'm loath to throw them away while they are still useful. I nuked two scrubbers and one sponge for 2 minutes this morning and they came out smelling fresh as a flower.