Sip of Seattle, Downtown

Well, at least that's what the sign has promised for a few months running!

What I think will be the second location (correct me if I'm wrong - I couldn't find a web site, etc.) is set to open just north of the Van Ness/UDC metro stop.  It's near the car wash at Albemarle and Connecticut, Delhi Dhaba, Pier One, etc.  The other location I know of can be found at G Street near 12th NW.

Does anyone have the scoop?  The only other coffee shop within walking distance is Sirius.  That place is ok, but not great.

I used to work in the same building as them at 12th and G. Perfectly fine folks serving perfectly fine coffee. A real bonus if you're avoiding Starbucks. The baked goods are nothing to write home about. They served soups, if I recall correctly, but I think the soup business was kind of like what Otis Spunkmeyer is to cookies.

I have tended to stick with Cosi versus Sips downtown. Sips often has a line out the door, but I love that they feature the artwork of one of my colleague's mother pretty requently.

Cosi is slightly more convenient and the people who work there know my order before I can even place it, but yes, it's corporate. Closer to where I live, there isn't a Starbucks (closest ones are in Cleveland Park or further north toward Buck's, etc. IIRC). Would be/will be nice to have a walking-distance option.

So, when your coffee shop gives you a Christmas present when you stop in for your morning tea, does that mean

A- you spend WAY too much money on tea and coffee every day;

B- you looked like you really needed an insulated mug; or

C- it's nice to frequent Sips of Seattle, rather than a mega-chain?

As CrescentFresh said, "perfectly fine folks" indeed :P Definitely brightened my day.

C- it's nice to frequent Sips of Seattle, rather than a mega-chain?

As CrescentFresh said, "perfectly fine folks" indeed :P Definitely brightened my day.

It's dangerous with this place downstairs from my temporary workspace. It definitely brightened my day, after being caught on the Orange line this morning and stuck for *an hour and a half* on the metro. The pastries still looked like they're nothing to write home about, but the double-shot of espresso certainly hit the spot. And cheap too compared to Megabucks.